General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

DIY oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 05:19 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
This is not the best one on the subject, but will give you an idea of the internal workings of an oil filter. One of the main problems with Fran filters are the 'cardboard' end caps.

9 OIL FILTERS CUT AWAY ( LOOK INSIDE) - YouTube
just shows how cheap fram is lol. like really. cardboard? im debating between the mobil one filter or wix/napa gold
i like napa golds price alot better

heres also a dumb question. does anyone offer free reminder stickers? (the ones for the windshield) i tried emailing mobil, no response, shocker

also when running mobil one high mileage, what do you suggest intervals on oil changes with miles and month?

Old 04-22-2014, 05:23 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You can get the little stickers at most parts stores near the oil
Also, unless you are saving money on the high mileage, dont waste your money, Some say it makes a difference, but most say it really does not. To elaborate more on the high mileage, after doing some reading. It has an additive that swells seals, and, like you would think, there is no "stop" to how far the seals will swell. some people have experienced the seals swelling so far that they fail.

regular oil can go 5000 miles between changes, Synthetic can go 7000, been tested to go even farther before it really starts to break down.

Last edited by richphotos; 04-22-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by richphotos
You can get the little stickers at most parts stores near the oil
Also, unless you are saving money on the high mileage, dont waste your money, Some say it makes a difference, but most say it really does not. To elaborate more on the high mileage, after doing some reading. It has an additive that swells seals, and, like you would think, there is no "stop" to how far the seals will swell. some people have experienced the seals swelling so far that they fail.

regular oil can go 5000 miles between changes, Synthetic can go 7000, been tested to go even farther before it really starts to break down.
the high mileage was the same price as the normal mobil one and extended performance. $25.17 for a 5qt jug for each of the 3. now you got me worried to run the high mileage lol. cause the last thing id want is the rear seal to start leaking. i know i got a small leak. and im pretty sure from doing research on this site its the oil cooler lines near the pan somewhere

Old 04-22-2014, 06:45 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You can use the high mileage if you want, I personally would not in my truck.

and yup, the oil cooler lines are near the rear drivers side of the pan, most likely where your leak is coming from.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:57 PM

i might just make the exchange then to either just mobil 1 or mobil 1 extended performance. im glad you informed me about the additive in high mileage that swells the gaskets. thank you for that info. im gonna have to head to harbor freight and get the jacks so i can sit under there and make sure thats where the leaks definitely coming from, its been going on since i got intake gaskets done, but as far as i know the intakes not the issue ..leaks worse when i park on inclines but still not enough to make a difference, havent had to add any oil yet lol

Old 04-24-2014, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by er0ck273
i might just make the exchange then to either just mobil 1 or mobil 1 extended performance. im glad you informed me about the additive in high mileage that swells the gaskets. thank you for that info. im gonna have to head to harbor freight and get the jacks so i can sit under there and make sure thats where the leaks definitely coming from, its been going on since i got intake gaskets done, but as far as i know the intakes not the issue ..leaks worse when i park on inclines but still not enough to make a difference, havent had to add any oil yet lol
made the exchange for mobil one, was gonna get extended performance, but the trucks not a damn race car i drive easy, for the most part.
i was reading my manual today (i got bored lol) and noticed it said every oil change to lube the chassis points. what points exactly are they and what kind of grease should i be using?

Old 04-24-2014, 09:11 PM
BF Veteran

They are basically talking about the front end components, ball joints, tie rods ect. You will need a grease gun, and get a heavy duty lithium or synthetic grease.