General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Do I have to get a tow bar or does it have one already?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 06:41 PM
Starting Member
99Legendary is on a distinguished road
Default Do I have to get a tow bar or does it have one already?

I am getting a boat and I was wondering will I have to get a towbar or can I just throw a hitch on and it'll be good to go?

On the back bumper where the license plate is, it says "remove for tow ball(or hitch can't remember)" on top of one of the little black squares. Is there where I would put the hitch into? Or will I have to remove the whole thing and put a tow bar on?

Thanks

Old 06-28-2015, 10:19 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

You'll need a hitch. I pulled mine off one at the pull a part yard, made it easier to see what needs to be done before tearing apart your bumper. bring penetrating oil and a small propane torch to make it eaiser to get off. Then paint it before putting it on.

Last edited by 10-78 edac; 06-28-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:58 PM
Starting Member

Well I went out and pulled the plastic piece off the bumper, and there is a little slot for where I would assume the towing ball would go.

Why would a hitch be a better idea? And are there blazers there that come stock with it or would I just have to get lucky and hope someone put one on before junking it? Thanks

Old 06-29-2015, 05:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Consult your owners manual for the bumper rating and compare it with the weight of your trailer and the tongue weight it will transfer to the truck. The factory bumper is rated quite low for trailer weight & tongue weight. The bumper itself should also be stamped with these ratings.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:49 AM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 99Legendary
Well I went out and pulled the plastic piece off the bumper, and there is a little slot for where I would assume the towing ball would go.

Why would a hitch be a better idea? And are there blazers there that come stock with it or would I just have to get lucky and hope someone put one on before junking it? Thanks

Hitches are very common on Blazers

Old 06-29-2015, 02:22 PM
Starting Member
No false Bravada is on a distinguished road

My Bravada came stock with one. Shouldn't be too hard to find a Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada that has one already.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Starting Member

Well the boat I plan on getting is only a little 8 footer. I couldn't imagine being too heavy, it's tiny, maybe only 3 man fishing boat used in lakes.

Blazer says max tongue weight 250. I don't mind buying a hitch for it but is there anyway I can just throw a tow ball onto the bumper in the slot it has for one? Have to pick it up soon a state away. Soon as in tonight.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:46 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

If its something small and you're willing to take the risk, you can just run a tow ball through the slot in the bumper. That's what it was designed to do. Just be careful with the weight of the trailer and the speed you're going.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:48 AM
Starting Member
rxjimmy is on a distinguished road

My 2000 Jimmy has imprinting in the rubber step plate cover. They are printed in the outer raised pads (left and right), closest to the tailgate. It reads something like "3500 lbs trailer load maximum" "350 lbs tongue load maximum". I have towed trailer of ~2500 lbs at 65 MPH (trailer tire rating limited) with no worries.