General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Dont wanna hear the ol man rag me, did I pay too much? LOL

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

maybe exhaust leak?

Old 03-21-2011, 09:44 AM
CNYCountryKidd is on a distinguished road

could be exhaust leak.. pcv valve is another thing to check. see if that's makin noise. have your mechanic look at it

Old 03-21-2011, 10:37 AM
matt92 is on a distinguished road

you paid $1900 man. Welcome to the greatest vehicle of your life! I paid $2000 for mine.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Starting Member
Melrock83 is on a distinguished road

I just got back from the mechanic and he said there is nothing to worry about that he believes its coming from the exhaust. And the guy I got it from replaced the exhaust from the converter back so whats left exhaust wise to make the noise LOL but he said that its nothing and so I left with a cheesy lil grin all the way home..and I had the 01 first I paid 2k for but the stick got to me too bad so the ol man happily took it off my hands LMAO so we each have our own blazers now..only I got them both

Old 03-21-2011, 01:35 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

i paid 350 for my 97 bravada, but it needed a front diff.
i paid 400 for my 96, but that needed about a 1000 in parts, (brakes, ball joints, tires, radiator)
but i did pay 12k for my old 02 when i bought it in 05

Old 03-21-2011, 03:20 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CNYCountryKidd
could be exhaust leak.. pcv valve is another thing to check. see if that's makin noise. have your mechanic look at it

theyre supposed to make noise, when theyre not is when you got problems.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:08 PM
CNYCountryKidd is on a distinguished road

not what I meant.. I know it's supposed to make noise but not a considerable amount.. mine doesn't clickclickclickclickclick loud enough for me to hear it when my truck idles and I change it every oil change. i meant have her mechanic look at it to see what he thinks

Old 03-22-2011, 02:44 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

theres many posts where people have a vibration and noises associated with the pcv valve, if you have good ears and know what you listning for, its pretty loud.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Starting Member
Melrock83 is on a distinguished road

I can only hear it really well if I get my head at the driver front tire into the wheel well....well as close inside as I can get. But when I drove it for a long time it got louder, but when i first get in it and go i cant hear it at all...well unless I get into wheel and then its vague. The pvc valve..where is that located? And as a chick with no mechanic ability would it b possible for ME to look at or is it another trip to mechanic LOL

Ok..so to check the pvc thingy and u said it on drivers side of urs under the valve cover....ummmm...what the hell is a valve cover, what does it look like and is it something I could do easily without screwing something up LMAO Im a chick with no mechanical skill so walk me thru step by step ...pretty please

So what do i listen for on the pvc and exactly step by step if u would...tell me how to look at it? im a virgin here so im doin this blind....this place is my only hope of learning

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-23-2011 at 06:21 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:24 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

You got a good deal, dont let your hubby give ya a hard time. A new set of tires is about 800... Youve got no clunking or engine lights on? Then its a good deal.

To find that PCV valve, look where you pour in the oil. Theres a spout the oil goes down that connects to the driver valve cover. On that valve cover is a little thing with a hose coming off it that plugs into the valve cover. With the engine on, touch it and see if you feel the ticking matching the beat of the sound you hear. You can also pull it straight up out of that hole and make sure the little ball is loose inside it. It should be loose, thats why its ticking. You can also have a look at the exhause manifolds, particularily where they make the first connection to the pipe after the engine - there is a flange with 3 bolts, see if you can see any light smoke puffing out of this connection.

Also curious why the PO thinks it needs an AC compressor? If its cause you have no cold AC, why not recharge it yourself? If the AC gas is empty the compressor will kick on and off alot when you have the AC on. You can buy a recharge kit for about 50 bucks and watch a couple you tube vids on how to recharge it, its simple. The new stuff also has a dye in it to help you find the leak with a UV light so you can fix that later. To check this one, start the engine, turn on the max AC, and go stand in front of the open hood. The belt is turning around all the accessories (alternator looks like the throwing star, AC is the largest with 2 fat metal lines coming off it and is on the top passenger side, power steering has the thing to pour fluid in and id down on the drivers side under the alternator) the large one has a clutch on the front that will kick on and off and turn and not turn. Does it make a loud noise, or just what seems normal? Does it go on and off alot - Im talking like 5 sec on, 5 off, 5 on, 5 off? Is the belt taken off of this one? There is a plug on the backside, is this hooked up?

Last edited by ohsofly; 03-23-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Dont wanna hear the ol man rag me, did I pay too much? LOL