General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Engine replacement idea, and no... its NOT a sbc!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 01:08 AM
ZachL90 is on a distinguished road
Default Engine replacement idea, and no... its NOT a sbc!

So the other day I was just daydreaming at work and I started to think about diesels.. I'm going to school for Diesel technology and I love diesel trucks and I like blazers. I got to thinking and I thought it would be cool to put a diesel in a Blazer. Maybe a 4bt cummins? With the right adapter it could mate up to a 4l60e... Or what about the chevy 6.2 or 6.5 diesels? They are V8 styled engines and really not that much bigger than a 350. While they weren't the greatest for power numbers and towing, I think they would be great in a Blazer with or without the turbo(I know, you gotta have the turbo).

What do you guys think about this? Has anyone seen this done?

Zach

Last edited by ZachL90; 07-23-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:34 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

I'm curious about this as well... I'd say go for a 6.2 but what about all that torque with the axle, front diff, t case and so on? Sure it can be built, but for how much?

Old 07-23-2010, 10:36 AM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

I dont think you will have trouble with the axles, the older 6.2 had less hp and tq than the 4.3. So if you are going to put one in get the 6.5 turbo. Other wise you are putting in a moter thats prob 200 lbs heavier and has the same power.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:02 PM
1sexyblzr is on a distinguished road

Iv seen a 4bt cummins in a 2nd gen s10. It was a drag truck and was making like 800hp. There's also that banks sidewinder duramax s10

Old 07-23-2010, 05:28 PM

I dont think there will be much trouble with the axles either.. If you really had to you could just throw a bigger axle from the boneyard under the rear or buy hardened shafts and better u-joints. The 6.5's never really made that much power either but as everyone knows, diesels are about torque, the twisting force. I think as long as you keep the engine fairly stock it should all work fine together. It would just be a cool project and definitely something different than the run-of-the-mill 5.7L everyone and their grandma puts in the Blazers. I think both the 6.2 and 6.5 diesels would work nicely. Something that would make someone do a double take as your cranking it up. The 6.2 diesels also came factory with a turbo in some years and Banks even has a turbo kit for them. I actually think the factory set-up is a Banks kit(please correct me if I'm wrong, of course).

Zach

Old 07-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Beginning Member
Project_95_Blazer is on a distinguished road

the stock suspension wont hold the weight of a diesel. not a chance.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:11 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

it would take a lot of work to fit one. The front end would need to be strengthened a lot. Along with the frame. Also it is quit a bit bigger than a 350. So the firewall may need some adjustment with a hammer along with the frame. You would have to get a good size radiator too along with some big electric fans to go in front of the rad. Im sure you would have some modifying for the fuel lines too. May need a faster pump. Dont let me steer you away form doing it. As it would be very cool to see. It will take a lot of custom fabing and modifying

Old 07-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

check s10forum there's a guy on there with a duramaxx/allison 1st gen ext cab s10 lots of info on what all he had to do to make it work for what he wanted (rock crawling, dd, towing) look for diesels10 I believe he also has a build thread on s10extremist.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:51 PM
blueblazer1982 is on a distinguished road

if you want to go diesel. i'd think about a k5 blazer. some years even had the 6.2L diesel.

think of it this way

you have more space to work with (easier to make a diesel fit)

the truck would be a 1/2 ton, (not a 1/4 ton) and would already be strong enough to take the torque and weight of the diesel. especially the frame

also you would be able to take advantage of the extra power if you pulled trailers for example

just a few ideas to kick around. one downside would be the initial cost of the k5.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:31 PM

I was just throwing the idea around in my head. If I really wanted to do this I would put it in a S10 Blazer. If I wanted a full-size Blazer with a 6.2 I would prolly find a military truck or just any old blazer/jimmy... Actually my vehicle of choice for a full size would be an earlier 2 door Blazer/Tahoe. Plenty of room to work with in those puppies

Zach

Quick Reply: Engine replacement idea, and no... its NOT a sbc!