General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Ever done something this stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:20 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about
Default Ever done something this stupid?

Ugh..another chris moment id like to share.

So..i did a trans filter/pan fluid change about 2 weeks ago. I overfilled it by about a quart. I needed to get some out of it so i thought about the trans cooler lines that run to the rad. Well i disconnected the top line and stuck a 2 ft piece of heatercore hose over it and into a bucket. I figured "hey! that'll work,it only needs to run for a second" Well i didnt know it had some much pressure. I started the thing up and the pressure pushed the hose off,then blew into the rad fan,then the rad fan blew it all over the engine compartment. I just spent the last half hour with scotts shop towels cleaning up the engine bay. I learned 3 things.

1. clamp hose onto trans line
2. Never do it again.
3. trans fluid makes things shiny, but stinks.

Have any "i did something stupid" stories while working on your car/blazer?

Old 06-01-2011, 10:31 PM
wrenchturner3529 is on a distinguished road

None that I would ever admit to! Well okay 1.

Did a $40.00 brake job that ended up costing me $1640.00. Changed the front and rear brakes. Had the hood open to check fluid and closed the hood but not hard enough to latch it. Went for a test drive. Hood flew up, cracked the windshield, broke the cowling by the wipers, and dented the hood on both sides by the hinges.

New hood, cowling and paint job= $1600.00
Having to explain to the wife= not enough money to stop the WTF!

Okay who's next?

Old 06-01-2011, 11:11 PM
mudwagon01 is on a distinguished road

I have one.

Had to get my blazer inspected so I went to a local garage to set an appointment. As I start my truck to leave, one of the guys there happens to hear my truck and points out I have an exhaust leak somewhere near my front end. So I head home to check it out so I wont fail inspection, find a small rubber corner of a pipe has burnt out, a quick fix. Drove down to advanceauto got a new corner and set about putting it on, well....the main wire harness was in the way so stupid me unhooks the clamp holding down the harness and moves it so I can put on the corner. Thinking nothing of it, I left the harness without rehooking it and started the truck and began driving home, about half way blazer starting bucking and making weird sounds and started losing all of my lights. Managed to get it half way up my driveway(mind you its a mile and a half long) she died. Come to find out that quick fix is actually a broken backpressure valve and the exhuast was coming back up the pipe and reburnt out the corner and my main harness, yay for me . Took a week to rewire the dam thing, needless to say the inspection never happened.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:02 AM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road

I got mad one day and cut off my dual tail pipes after the same exhaust pipe hanger the guys at the muffler shop put on broke for the second time in a week (they kept putting it on in the way of the rear shackle so it kept breaking off). The last time I went to the shop to get the hanger re-attached I had to wait for three hours just for them to get to my five minute job. So, this next time I thought it looked stupid driving around with one tail pipe bouncing and I didn't want to go back so I corrected it . Then about a week later I wanted them put back on. Well, that was about a year ago. LOL They're still sitting in my garage just waiting to be put back on. Too bad I don't have a welder.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:01 AM
m3ch is on a distinguished road

well i was working on my sisters van, changing tires checking the fluids etc etc

i jacked up the van (didnt have enough common sense to back it up to level ground), and the damn thing almost fell on me.........3 times, i was trying to put the tire on but it kept falling =p

Old 06-03-2011, 10:42 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

The other day I was tuning up my bike (I ride a road bike with pedals) and putting new cables on all the stuff, the 2 brakes, the 2 shift cables. I fought for an hour trying to push the last cable through the black tubing that they run through in some spots... Not going through cause its got a tight bend. My idiot buddy shows up, sees what Im doing and I tell him its taken an hour and I cant get the damn cable through... He calls me a retard and TWISTS the cable as I push it through, worked like a charm on the first try... I would have never thought to twist a cable into a tube. Hes a plumber, and says thats how a `drain snake`works in pipes... I felt like a tool cause I am alot smarter than he is... But in my defense, Im not a plumber and have never had to feed a cable through a tube, anything on cars with a cable comes pre assembled and I dont have to feed them through anything.

Other stupid stuff:
-Dukes of hazzard jumped my V8S10 - broke motor mounts and frame - wrote off truck.
-Packed my stuff and moved 1000km with a woman to have her get hooked on drugs, so I moved 1000km back... Cost alot of money.
-Lost my weed years and years ago... turns out I lost it in my work truck - lost the job for it too. Dont buy weed on your way to work.
-Couldnt get my fire to light in winter, kept pouring in more old motor oil to try and get it to light on the wood... ended up pouring in about a gallon. Fire finally lit, but once that oil in the bottom got hot it was an inferno for an hour and made a ton of smoke... ooops.
-me and my buddy seafoamed my buddys car in a 3 floor parkade... Firemen with fans came.
-washed my car with cold well water on a hot sunny summer day. pointed hose at it, tinted back window exploded when the cold water hit it.
-didnt do anything worthwhile after high school... should have gone to more school.

Last edited by ohsofly; 06-03-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:28 AM
blazerguy22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok where to begin.

Did.a brake job on a chrysler town and country. Forgot to pump up the brakes before backing it out of the shop. Luckily Ram trucks are tough cause I ran straight into it cause I had NO brakes.

Then later that week. I do an oil change on a jeep liberty and dont check the filter housing guess I left the gasket there cause I left a snail trail of oil all the way around the shop.

And lastly about a month ago I serviced a ram 2500 (non diesel) and backed out. I backed into a parkin spot next to a mew wrangler and drove back out forward to bring the truck round front. Well the truck didnt have a scratch but the wrangler had a nice new custom cracked front bumper. Wworst part is I do that same maneuver without hitting anything at leasr 10 times a day with bigger trucks

Old 06-04-2011, 10:45 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

I used to work at the local quick lube. One day I was doing my service checks and the ps fluid was low. I go to add more and get distracted by the office girl walking past (super hot) and get back to what I'm doing as the ps fluid overflows the reservoir.

Best (worst?) part is the owner of the car was right there next to me talking to the boss.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:36 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chris015
Ugh..another chris moment id like to share.

So..i did a trans filter/pan fluid change about 2 weeks ago. I overfilled it by about a quart. I needed to get some out of it so i thought about the trans cooler lines that run to the rad. Well i disconnected the top line and stuck a 2 ft piece of heatercore hose over it and into a bucket. I figured "hey! that'll work,it only needs to run for a second" Well i didnt know it had some much pressure. I started the thing up and the pressure pushed the hose off,then blew into the rad fan,then the rad fan blew it all over the engine compartment. I just spent the last half hour with scotts shop towels cleaning up the engine bay. I learned 3 things.

1. clamp hose onto trans line
2. Never do it again.
3. trans fluid makes things shiny, but stinks.

Have any "i did something stupid" stories while working on your car/blazer?
HEHE i hate the smell of trans fluid and also it do shine your block tho =P

Old 06-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Starting Member
kevlar974 is on a distinguished road

how about this rebuilt the 4.3 in my blazer and remembered where every hose and wire and bolt went but put the valve covers on bassackwards and didn't have an issue till i tried to install the air intake and it hit the oil filler neck.
I took pictures of this blunder they are in the builds section under 2000 blazer heart transplant

Quick Reply: Ever done something this stupid?