General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Experts! Don't you just love em!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:30 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road
Default Experts! Don't you just love em!

Took my truck in for service on Tuesday.

I complained about a knocking noise from the front right wheel - more pronounced when turning. I suspected CV joint giving notice.
My wife followed me to the Chevy guys to drop the truck off & told me my right front wheel was at an angle. I forgot to mention this to the guys - no biggie as they were instructed to check the suspension. They test drove the truck & claimed the wheel bearing was breaking up! Then noticed the angle of the wheel & saw the castor was waaay out. Turns out the bolts holding the upper control arm had come loose & the wheel tilted in. They sent the truck out for an alignment & then . . .
and this I love . . .
they switched the front & rear wheel because of tyre wear. Not unusual I hear you think.

This is the good part . . . . they left the truck out for me to pick up after they closed so, again, with the wife in tow, she noticed my front wheels stuck out past the fenders & the rears were tucked in under the fenders.

The guys had not noticed this! They assumed all my wheels were the same size! LOL

For those who don't know, or forgotten, my rims are 7" wide rear with 3" back spacing. The front are 6" wide with 4" back spacing. This brings all my tyres out flush with the fender flares - actually about 1/2" past.

Anyway, all's good now & truck goes well.

Oops! forgot to mention - the CAI cover on top of the carb had split on the seam & was starting to suck in too much air. Now I either need to refit the stock air filter or buy a new one off e-bay!

Either way, I see better gas milage in my trucks future! LOL

Last edited by kiwiblazer; 02-04-2011 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:12 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

LOL, blows my mind how some people can be so inobservant and not notice that kind of thing

Old 02-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

are all our blazers like this with the spacing? im going to get spacers soon do i need to get dif size in front and back for them to be even?

Old 02-04-2011, 11:26 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

As far as i know, the front wheels should be spaced out further than the rears from stock, i forget exactly how much its something like 1.25 inches or 1.5 or something like that, i found it before in a thread about wheel spacers. From what i read if you just want them to be in line with eachother most guys throw a 1.25 on the back...i put 6mm spacers on the rear of mine to bring them closer but its not quite the same.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...spacers&page=2

Old 02-04-2011, 11:59 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

The rear wheel track is slightly narrower than the front.