General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Extended warranties/service contracts

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:26 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

When I got my blazer 2 years ago this upcoming Sept. I got a Lubrico 2 year warrenty for $900, a fairly comprehensive one. It covered a lot of things like motor, trans, transfer case etc & when the front drive shaft went 8 months later they 'chose' to have it replaced with a good used one. A new one is around $600 & the replacement has been fine. It matters to whom you take the vehicle to (that they approve of) & the people working on it. Also I have to take it in for a chassis lube & oil change every 5000k or 3 months. Kinda pisses me off that I'm not allowed to do it myself though.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:18 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rottidog
When I got my blazer 2 years ago this upcoming Sept. I got a Lubrico 2 year warrenty for $900, a fairly comprehensive one. It covered a lot of things like motor, trans, transfer case etc & when the front drive shaft went 8 months later they 'chose' to have it replaced with a good used one. A new one is around $600 & the replacement has been fine. It matters to whom you take the vehicle to (that they approve of) & the people working on it. Also I have to take it in for a chassis lube & oil change every 5000k or 3 months. Kinda pisses me off that I'm not allowed to do it myself though.
Not allowed to change your own oil? Now THAT is outragous. I mean whose name is on the title? Your's or the warranty company? If you use better filters or oil, it might even be better for THEM because it reduces the chance of something happening. So basically if I buy a warranty, I am signing rights away. It basically becomes their car like an insurance company. I just started doing my own oil earlier this year and I will never take it in for oil again. I use great filters and Royal Purple.
They made you use a used driveshaft? They better have paid for new U-joints and making sure it is as solid as a new one!

$900 for a warranty? Is that per year or total? If that is per year, I would probably just start putting that money aside so I can throw a rebuilt engine or trans in when this thing hits 200k in another 10 years (when I learn how to do that that is).

Old 07-09-2010, 08:57 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

hehehe it was for 2 years, any lubricated item that fails they replace, the drive shaft was used but they had new u-joints installed & I've umm 'tested' it quite a bit

as for the oil changes its so they know it's done right (like thats a given at any fast oil change place) BUT when I get them to do it I'm covered!
I have paperwork to mail or fax them as proof the oil was changed & zerks/grease nipples were lubed etc. If I did the oil change theres not "legit" paperwork. It's them covering their azzes to cover yours.

If my transmission goes - I'm covered
If a differential goes - I'm covered
If the engine or a bearing blows or a rod throws etc - I'm covered
& there are a lot of other things they cover ... but oddly when my oil pressure sending unit went **** up they didn't cover it lol, $85 part & hr's labor
but they did cover the rear pinion seal $15 part & at least 2 hrs labor
It's paid for itself so I'm OK with it

Last edited by Rottidog; 07-09-2010 at 09:01 PM.