General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Extra Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:05 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Extra Fuel Tank

This is probably a very, very crazy question, but is it possible to do the following project to my 1998 GMC Jimmy SLT 4x4 (Geekmobile, Enterprise-D (NCC-1701-D), Boeing 757-200 (all kind of geek names for the truck) )?:

First, add a roof rack with a spare tire carrier (maybe some lights also?.... lol)

Second, relocate the spare tire from under the cargo area to the roof rack and remove the spare tire cable and other related hardware.

Third, add a SECOND FUEL TANK in the area where the spare tire was (2 door 19 gallon blazer tank maybe? Aren't they in that area on the two-door models if the spare is either on the liftgate or in the trunk?)

Fourth, connect it to the existing fuel tank (maybe make it so there is another pump transferring gas directly into the original tank where gas normally enters it during refueling, so the engine is using the gas from the OEM tank, but at the same time is being "refueled" by the spare tank??) to effectively double the unrefueled range of the Jimmy. Just like adding another fuel tank to an airliner (making it like the -ER or -LR (extended range or longer range) version of the jet, which makes the Jimmy the 757-200LR).

Obviously, crazy question but what if it were possible to make the Jimmy able to go from the mid-Hudson Valley in New York State to Buffalo (350-400 miles) on one fuel load (both tanks) without stopping (if I could use the New York State Thruway (I-87N to I-90W) at a constant speed (at or under the posted speed limit!!!) for that long with no stops)??? I only get about 225-250 miles range maximum on one full tank, although I have never gotten close to that because I usually refuel when the fuel used indicator reads about 9.0 gallons or more and the gauge reads 1/2 or just under that (my gas gauge works ok, but i don't trust it because it is affected by changes in the car's pitch and I always like knowing EXACTLY to the tenth of a gallon how much fuel is on board).

Thanks,

The GMC Jimmy-driving BlazerForum Geek:
ComputernerdBD

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 05-18-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:08 AM
Starting Member
carterx is on a distinguished road

I would think this is possible but not sure if it would need to be approved & inspected or not.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You may want to check with your local DMV on this type of modification to your fuel system.

It is possible to add another tank, but I doubt you will be able to mount a 2dr tank in that location... Once you have a tank mounted, how involved it gets depends on how much interaction you want to have in the transfer process.