General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Fender flares (rust shame-hiders)

Old 05-12-2019, 11:45 AM
Beginning Member
BeaterJimmy is on a distinguished road
Default Fender flares (rust shame-hiders)

Hey all,

I've got the ol 99 Jim and have sanded/bondo'd the rear wheel arch 3 times now and I'm over that... I'm thinking at this point I'm better off buying fender flares and either leaving them black or painting white to "match" (it doesnt actually match worth a ****, but looks better than rust).

I'm having a hard time finding any kits that cover more than just the very bottom of the arch. I'd like something that extends upward at least a couple inches.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Old 05-12-2019, 01:51 PM
Beginning Member
WizardMaster is on a distinguished road

Bushwacker makes very cool flares. I want the 4" to 6" for my monster when I'm ready. They are not cheap but then again nobody carries any nicer flares than Bushwacker does. https://www.bushwacker.com/

Old 05-12-2019, 02:07 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

No matter what you find to put on the vehicle you need to kill the rust first.
Rust under paint, bondo, even your new flairs will keep right on rusting and as funny as it sounds sealing it up usually speeds up the process.
Sanding at it is fine but rust gets impreagnated into the metal and should be treated.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:09 PM
Beginning Member
Old 05-12-2019, 02:12 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by odat
Rust under paint, bondo, even your new flairs will keep right on rusting and as funny as it sounds sealing it up usually speeds up the process.
Sanding at it is fine but rust gets impreagnated into the metal and should be treated.
And everyone who deals with rust should have a bottle or jug of OSPHO on their shelf!! Can be found at most hardware stores including ACE.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:25 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by odat
As much as I'd love my adopted beater to be on the road for many years to come, I paid $1000 for it, it's already served its purpose by getting me through winter. Now it's just a point of pride, I guess, to keep it going and looking as good as possible while doing so.

Rust spots on bumper and rear wheel arch have been sanded and treated with rust converter, but I'm still not hopeful it's going to last. It still has structural integrity on most of the surface but the only real way to fix it would be to cut it out, which I am not capable of doing at this point in time.

One final sanding, treating, etching bare metal spots, priming, painting, and clear coating, followed by installation of fender flares... and hopefully I dont have to see the rust poke its head out again over the next couple/few years i have this truck. That's also why I want the "tallest" ones I can find... so it has quite a while before it breaches the top of it (if ever).

Old 05-12-2019, 02:29 PM
Beginning Member
Old 05-12-2019, 04:24 PM
Beginning Member

You're welcome. Sometimes I sit here for days on end until I find just what I'm looking for. It can suck but at least we don't have to go driving and wasting gas and wear and tear on our vehicles looking. Good luck. Let us know what you decide on and maybe one of us can use that idea also.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:23 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by WizardMaster
You're welcome. Sometimes I sit here for days on end until I find just what I'm looking for. It can suck but at least we don't have to go driving and wasting gas and wear and tear on our vehicles looking. Good luck. Let us know what you decide on and maybe one of us can use that idea also.
Isnt that the truth! Unfortunately if I sat here reading all these posts I'd end up feeling like I "NEED" to replace everything on my truck lol.

I really like the look of those jungle flares, they are simple. I'm not looking for a kit that makes it look like a wide body, I want something as thin as possible, more like a skin than a flare. Those dont look too obnoxious.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:03 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

I am fairly certain you will have to mod the Bushwackers to fit the rear....it doesn't say anything about 2 or 4 door anywhere. Not sure if they make the 4 door anymore..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fender flares (rust shame-hiders)