General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Finally got the 4-door!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Starting Member
blown262 is on a distinguished road
Default Finally got the 4-door!

For those whom took part in my god awfully long gas mileage thread, you'll know that I've been waiting to get my hands on a 4-hatch Blazer. Well I got it! It's a 1998 black and silver 2 tone (pics soon) with 142,xxx on the clock. I picked her up early last week and have spent the past few days just replacing the minor parts that needed it. I ran the carfax on it, and it was a GM fleet rental for Hustedt Chevrolet in Centereach, NY. I was a little hesitant about buying it at first, then halfway down the list, in 10/05 at 104,270 miles, there was a nice shiny little surprise: Engine replaced! Being as it was a dealer vehicle, I am assuming it was either a reman or a brand new motor. Either way, I am assuming 38K on the engine, and boy does it run like it. Oil pressure at idle is 45-50 PSI and 65+ at RPM when warm. Trans shifts tight, but I can tell it is the original. It has it's issues, and I am currently owner #3. The second owner bought it in 2008 and got into an accident in 2009. This would explain why it has a 95-97 S15 nose on it. From what I can see, it got a core support, radiator, bumper, grill, lights, and left fender. The radiator is newer than the other parts, so I am assuming this was a new replacement and not a cannibal swap like the rest. Frame is straight, hood is wrinkled, but all in all, it wasn't a bad accident at all. I have replaced the fan clutch and fan, as it sounded like an airplane driving down the road, now the truck is soooo smooth. Honestly, I don't think I have ever had an S-dime run so smooth, nor have the amount of oil pressure this thing has. I did do a coolant flush with some CLR, as the heater core was making rushing noises, and it worked great. Phenomenal heat and the rushing noise all but disappeared completely. Maybe another round of CLR through just the core with a drill pump will do it. Radio is done, speakers, likewise. Infinity Kappa time 4x4 is perfect, but as in the 2-door, no locker I have no idea as to gas mileage just yet, but a tune up is in the very near future, as there is some off name everything in the ignition (wires are dark blue with "8mm Pertronix" on them, and the cap is dark grey Duralast) It has a remote start though, which is great for these cold mornings on the way to work I will post more and add pictures very soon.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:51 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a decent find. Hopefully it all works out for you.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

i love my 4 doors. im on my second one for work and now i have one for my personal missions. i dont think i could do a 2 door. although i think that they look good.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Beginning Member
BIGJEFF64 is on a distinguished road

i just got my 4 door and i am enjoying it!!! im gonna do a carfax but im a lil nervous to see what i am gonna find hopefully nothing too bad but there is some questions i would liek to have answered. but congrats on the buy

Old 02-26-2013, 09:43 AM
trobbins is on a distinguished road

i wouldnt waste your time with carfax, you pay them to look at your car and there never honest couple guys/girls on here would agree with me

Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by trobbins
i wouldnt waste your time with carfax, you pay them to look at your car and there never honest couple guys/girls on here would agree with me
Carfax isn't really a waste of time. It gives solid insight into SOME of what has happened, and when making as big a purchase as a vehicle, knowing for sure what has happened, even if not EVERYTHING that has happened was submitted, every bit of information helps. I knew the truck was in an accident, as the nose is incorrect for the year and make. Now I know exactly when and where it was reported and what happened. I'd pay $35 for just that alone. Then you find other things out, like it's had 2 previous owners, was dealer maintained, if and when inspections were failed, and why they failed. It's not the godsend tell-you-everything-ever setup, but it does serve a purpose, and does so quite well.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Maxboost25psi is on a distinguished road

Awesome find>>>>congrats!!!!

Old 03-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Starting Member

Seems like it's about time for an update. I've put about 600 miles since I bought the truck mid-February. Averaging about 13mpg with just an oil change with 5w30 Mobil1 EP syn. Gotta dig into the ignition because of the aforementioned off-brand crap in there. New plugs, wires, cap and rotor on the way, but my little man Liam Christopher was born March 2, 2013 and I have gladly been giving him all of my attention It also seems like this truck may have sat for a while, as some days, I get an annoying lifter tick for a few minutes. No big deal, as it doesn't affect anything, and goes away completely within 5 minutes. I have a MIL for catalyst efficiency, and I hear the honeycomb rattling around, so a cat is in the works. I think the front hubs are toasted, too, as my ABS light comes on almost immediately when I start moving, and tend to bind on tight turns. Already replaced the 4x4 vacuum switch and all vacuum lines along with HVAC controls, as all the nipples were broken off the back. Alignment is shot, and the original right front tire was sitting in the trunk with a GIANT hole in the sidewall, so things are most likely twisted in the front. There is a decently long list of things I need to fix, but all in all, the truck was $1150, so even if I put that much into repairs, I still make out well with a good reliable truck. Pictures soon, haven't gotten the camera setup for something other than indoor baby pictures.