General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

First time changing oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 01:30 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default First time changing oil

Hey guys. Today was the first time I changed the oil on the Jimmy without taking it to a shop. Here is how I did it. Please let me know if I forgot anything I should normally do during an oil change for future reference.
I went to WALMART and Advance Auto and bought ramps, Royal Purple 10W-30 (they didn't have 5W-30), Fram Toughgard oil filter, a new magnetic drain plug (old one looked like it was leaking), oil wrench, drain pan, grease gun, and some other stuff. I got the truck back to my apartment and put it up on the ramps. Took some effort to get the drain plug off, but I finally got it off with a little force on the breaker bar. After getting the drain plug off (and getting burned by the oil in the process), I noticed that the gasket was old and degraded. After letting all the old oil drain out, I put the new magnetic drain plug and tightened it only until it stopped (didn't want to strip the treads). Then I tried to remove the oil filter. The oil filter wrench I bought didn't work so well (spring loaded lobster-claw type). The oil filter was on there so tight that the wrench didn't even get a grip on it. It just crushed it and ripped the clear shiny plastic coating off. I finally had to remove the plastic skid plate and I finally got the oil filter off after a long fight with it. I wiped the remote oil filter surface with a paper towel and put the new filter in by hand after filling it halfway with new oil and putting oil on the gasket. Then I did the long task of putting the skid plate back on. Then I put in 4 quarts of oil and checked the dipstick. I added some more (making it 4.25 qts) and checked it again (it was about 1/3 of the way to the top line) and started the engine. Oil pressure was a little less than a cold startup (but normal since the engine was still hot). I added more to get it close to the top fill line. I am waiting until tomorrow to add even more since it was on ramps at the time. I drove it to the auto parts store since I had to get another grease gun since the one I had wasn't working properly. I got it back to the apartment and greased the ball joints, pitman arm, idler arm and outer tie rod ends. I will have to do the inner ones tomorrow after i get a 90 degree connection for the grease gun. Then all I got to do is find a place to recycle the old oil and filter. Good thing I got a cheap container that also doubles as a drain pan (Thank you, Walmart). I will never take my car to a mechanic for oil changes again. Especially after the last one put a cheapo oil filter with a slippery plastic surface in so tight I had to fight it after getting the plastic plate off and not replacing the gasket on the oil drain plug and not greasing the front end (some of the parts had little grease in them) after I requested it. Looks like now the truck is ready for all the very long trips I am going to be on during the next two months so I can run with this oil a little longer if I am on a long trip when the normal interval is reached. Thanks for any advice any of you have.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:13 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Sounds fine to me. Just check your oil on level ground

Old 04-24-2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by abig84
Sounds fine to me. Just check your oil on level ground
Will do next time I go out. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:13 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

for a first timer, you almost sounded like a pro.

almost.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
for a first timer, you almost sounded like a pro.

almost.
Thanks for that. I am NOT a car person (I am a computer nerd and an IT student), but I try to get by without taking the car to shop whenever possible for regular maintenance or repairs if it is easy enough and I have the resources here to do it. However, I do know when and where to stop if I run into trouble making a repair and backtrack enough steps to drive it in to get it done professionally. For example, I tried to replace the driver's power window motor last year. I couldn't get to the rivets on the back of the regulator to safely replace the motor, so I put it back together just enough to keep the window closed so I can drive the car for a few days to drive it to a shop. I least I knew where to stop before I caused expensive damage.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:49 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you did a fine job, just make sure you check the oil level with the car on the ground. Also, any automotive store will take your old oil like O' rilies, Nappa, Autozone.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:57 PM
Beginning Member
RQuickDraw is on a distinguished road

Nice job and next time will be even easier since the drain plug and filter won't be screwed on so tightly.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:09 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

The actual process sounds good. I think you spent too much money on the oil and I'm not a fan of your oil filter selection. It does feel good to do things yourself, doesn't it?

Old 04-25-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
The actual process sounds good. I think you spent too much money on the oil and I'm not a fan of your oil filter selection. It does feel good to do things yourself, doesn't it?
What is wrong with the oil filter that I picked out? It MUST be better than the one that was on the car. Some cheapo Valvoline filter that just crushed when I tried to remove it.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:52 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Give this a shot: CLICK

Quick Reply: First time changing oil