General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

fogs on the roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:01 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road
Default fogs on the roof rack

i'm lookin into these fog lightsand wondering what u guys think. im just lookin into fogs and i was thinkin of mounting them on the stock roof rack what do u guys think of that and how should i do the wiring to get it down from there?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:10 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: fogs on the roof rack

I took a long time running my wires through the body to keep everything looking clean and very stock. You'll hear alot of easy ways out like running it to the door and down the weather stripping[:'(].

I ran mine down the roof rack to the rear lift gate's hinge, and where the wiring already runs for the 3rd tail light and defrosters and what not, ran the wire alllllll the way back up front through that pre-exisiting route. Every exposed wire is in black plastic wiring wrap so it blends with my rack!

One suggestion though...don't get a fog for the roof. Most of the beam pattern is wasted, unless you're looking for side illumination. I might be able to snag a pic for you, but my IPFs on my roof have a dual reflector, and the fog pattern they throw down only extends forward 15-20 feet, then it goes to spot pattern. If you think about, the first 8 ft or so of light isn't getting past your grille! Mine are perfect for me though because I wanted to light up the surrounding area with all the dear and for any night trails. Just don't expect fogs to be brighter than your high beams if theyre on your roof!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:27 PM

ok ya i wasnt sure to go w/ fogs or what. i want something that lights up everything something that has a wide and long beam. kinda like those spot lights people use. and thanks for the wiring tips! ya ik some people run em right down thru the doors and i dont like that idea

Old 03-11-2008, 01:17 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

You could take your roof rack off and under one of the mounts drill a hole and then drill another through the rack itself to run them straight down into the cabin, and then use either RTV silicone or a rubber grommet to seal up around the wiring!! Just an idea so you use less wiring and it is another clean way of doing it!!

Old 03-11-2008, 01:21 AM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point

I ran mine through the back door. Theres only about 5" of exposed wiring before it hidden. The only reason I did it that way is because the lights came with wiring kits and there wasn't enough to run it to the back and then up front. It still is a pretty clean install, but if you have the time and wire, i would run it through the back like previously mention.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:58 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Get driving/spot lamps for up there. Also the lights you linked to are very cheap and crappy looking. I would look into the BLAZER brand that you should be able to find at a Walmart or Autzozone store. These will be slightly better and you wont have to pay $15 shipping.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:19 AM

ya i dont like the idea of drilling any holes thru my roof even if it is under the rack. drilled holes lead to leaks which i dont want.

and thanks lennyblazer i'll check into some lights there

EDIT: just another thought of another idea. what if i put fog light blubs in my turnsignal lights in the bumber? what would this do?

Old 03-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Fog lights up high kind of defeat the purpose of a fog light... If you are just looking for auxilliary driving lights, then go for it, but if you are looking for something that will actually help you out in the fog, the lower to the ground you can keep the lighting, the better your view will be in those conditions.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Zasder is an unknown quantity at this point

If you run them through the back, I would recomend using a higher guage wire... My lights right now, have 12 guage, through driver door, if you ran it through the back end and back up front...I would go with 10 guage or even 8 guage...the longer the wire, the more resitance and youll need to make up for that...

Old 03-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Verno will become famous soon enough

I'd like to put some on mine as well.
These are the ones on the front.
http://www.discountjeepparts.com/pro...ducts_id/21919

I'd like to add 4 more up top.

Quick Reply: fogs on the roof rack