General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Geared hub lift?

Old 02-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Irocz327 will become famous soon enough
Default Geared hub lift?

So this last weekend when I was at drill I was working on the front geared hub on a humvee and noticed that ball joints look like the exact same as on our trucks and was wondering what your thoughts about using geared hub lift the front end of my truck with the IFS intact and do a spring over axle swap in the back? The 3 big issues I notice right away but that can all be fix/adjusted....1.alignment 2.humvee runs a 8 lug rim if I remember right. 3. The cv spine count may be different so may need costum cv shafts made.

An article i found on thre H1's with a good pic if you need a picHummer H1 Diesel Original Geared Hub Design Photo 10

Old 02-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If by "exact same" you mean MUCH larger, then yes. You make adapting it sound easy which it is NOT. The HMMWV gear hubs are considerably taller (3-4" IIRC) than our steering knuckles. Also something to consider is the fact that HMMWV brakes are inboard, off either side of the differentials.

A portal axle (essentially what that is) can be VERY expensive, but does provide lots of ground clearance since the axle shaft is higher. A lot of folks are using the Moog 404 portal boxes mated up to custom 9" housings.

CLICK HERE for a rather good thread comparing the UniMog 404 hybrids & HMMWV gear hubs on pirate4x4.com. There are several sites that cater to the UniMog parts & axle assemblies. HERE is a thread I have been watching for the past year or so on CK5.com where the OP is using 9" center sections, trussed, & 4-linked with Mog 404 outer portals. It's an ambitious build that has been somewhat delayed by life, but still a lot of good ideas & attention to detail there!

Old 02-14-2012, 05:26 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Better expect to do gear changes if you plan on keeping it on the street.

Guy over on s10forum built a dime with unimog a few years back and the top speed was 50mph. He wound up just making it a truggy and build a sfa truck as a daily. Seen the other day a new company was making portal kits for popular axles that were supposed to be pretty easy to install. I can't remember where I seen it now

Old 02-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Unimogs can have a problem with heat buildup after sustained highway speeds in some applications. Heat is a concern with the HMMWV hubs to a certain extent as well which is one of the reasons why the brakes were moved inboard.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:52 PM

Inboard brakes always make a fun job. I haven't done a unimog or hummer but hve done a jag and that was a pita

Old 02-14-2012, 07:15 PM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

I've worked on many hummers while in the Army, and they weren't all that bad to work on. While the suspension does look similar I don't see it working on an S-10, even though I also thought about it as well.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Irocz327 will become famous soon enough

Swartllk- thanks for the info sounds like thou the extra clearance would be awesome soundz like a bigger PITA thena SAS I thought I was on to something but obviously not haha

Neo- I could deffitaly see new gears in the future I went that route after all its still my DD plus our humvees are governed at 65mph ish alot of that's the injection pump but I'm sure thr transmission / geared hubs play a big part

The inner diff braked are actually pretty easy on the humvees I don't know abouy any other vehicles with them. I always thought they were near the diffto help keep mud and stuff off them.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:56 AM

Yeah I think designing a long arm with 1/2 ton fullsize parts would be easier. Wouldn't have to worry about gear reduction of portals and you could crank the bars with keys for more lift.

Sfa the way to go for ease. Now there a kit its way simpler than when I built mine from scratch.