General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

getting old sucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:07 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough
Default getting old sucks

Started the day on the roof of by camper putting on a new vent
Bit of a trick spanning the roof with a couple ladder sections and kneeling on a piece of 2X10

Just after lunch my elderly neighbor had 4 1/2 skids of sod delivered
My wife and I went over and helped him ,his wife (there in their 70's)and daughter roll it out
We got about 2 1/2 skids of it down this afternoon
My wife busted her butt lifting rolls into the wheel barrow
I estimate each roll is about 60lbs
My knees and back are eff'd
Just popped some Alieve so that I will be able to sleep tonight
This getting old really sucks

Old 05-11-2013, 07:21 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

yeah im 32 and already am feeling it, i used to remember being a teenager and always wondered my parents never did anything after work now i can see why i have no energy, when i was in my 20s i used to work all day then go to gym then work on something in the garage.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:02 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I am 28 and I already have bad knees, I was told I should get surgery on them, but no insurance.

And here we were when we were younger "I cant wait to grow up" What the hell were we thinking.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Another year and you'll have free health care! Might be standing in line for 3 or 4 years though.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:13 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Another year and you'll have free health care! Might be standing in line for 3 or 4 years though.
hahaha

Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

I've known for years I have to get older. That doesn't mean I have to get old. I've got 8 years until retirement and I still work the younger guys into the ground at work. I've thrown bundles of shingles for nearly 40 years and still wear the 20 somethings into the ground. Yes, I have problems. I read Nietzche when I was 10 and I realized the Ubermind controls the body. Yes, I have arthritis. Yes, I have a chronic neck injury. Yes, I have back trouble from rolling a car at 120+ back in the 70's. Yes, I have other problems. I can either sit around and moan about it or suck it up, ignore the pain and go on.

I've worked all my life and know how to pace myself and work my muscles so they don't scream. I see these young people at work and I'm surprised they don't injure themselves more. For instance, I can lift a 60 pound roll of sod but why not use a small hand cart? Roll the sod onto it, take it over to where you want to unroll it, slip it off and unroll it. Flip it onto the cart so it unrolls off it and you and your wife will save your backs. I hate to think what kind of lactic acid you'll have in the morning.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:08 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

a little sore this morning but not bad
I love Alieve
We had 3 wheel barrows going at one point moving sod
It is a mostly sloped area so I suspect a 2 wheel cart would not be much help
I rolled it out and used a rake to position it

I tell young guys at work "you work hard" they pump their chests out and thats when I explain the diference between working hard and being a hard worker

Old 05-12-2013, 10:31 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting old ain't for sissies.
But it does beat the hell out of the alternative.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:24 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I've known for years I have to get older. That doesn't mean I have to get old. I've got 8 years until retirement and I still work the younger guys into the ground at work. I've thrown bundles of shingles for nearly 40 years and still wear the 20 somethings into the ground.
this is why i dont think age really has much to do with it. i also put on some weight and just dont do much anymore, i too know 40-50 year olds that will whoop my butt. i just started dieting again, lost like 20lbs last year but imright back to where i was. i do so good then out of no where i just forget that im dieting and go right back to pizza and tacos.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

What's wrong with pizza and tacos, and a big 'ole fat juicy burger every now and then? Each one has all of the food groups, meat, potatoe & veggies, it must be good for you If I gave up all that stuff I'd wither away and starve to death.

Quick Reply: getting old sucks