General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Gift to me

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:52 AM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gift to me

Well i went huntin on craigslist yesterday and was just trying to see if there were any deals on blazer parts. For grins i thought, ya know i wonder if anyones got some decent axles for sale just to see. Well um, i kinda found me a heck of a deal from a guy up in northern AZ and now i got a matching set of axles off a late 70's f150. What i got was a high pinion Dana 44 and a ford 9", both with 3.50 gears installed currently. They came off a working 1979 f150 that the motor crapped out on but the truck was a daily driver so the axles work just fine. Both axles are in great shape considdering the age but thats not the best part, oh no. I got both of them, with a set of aluminum rims and some beat up 31" tires for $400. YEAH, just $400, not too bad of a bargin if i do say so myself. Anyway here are a few pictures. I appologize for them not being the best as it was at night and because those dang things are HEAVY and not easy to move around. Oh and yes i do realize that the 9" has fluid comin out of it, looks like the seal around the input shaft is leaking but im gonna replace that anyways once i put new gears in it (4.56 gears FTW!!!).

Click Here

Old 01-21-2008, 02:57 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Gift to me

So you finally got matching axles huh, that is awesome you need to put that sucker way up in the air Rob so you can go to a show with me so I can park underneath yours with mine, oh and by the way im bagging the front of mine within the next week and half so careful will throw sparks LOL!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 03:50 AM

LOL, nice. I plan on 35's with these axles, 38's if i can get away with it without breaking stuff. That with about 6-8" of lift, i think we can squeeze ya underneath. No promises though on caked on mudd fallin off, lol just kiddin. I got no problem making it a trail rig/show truck. Just gotta bring on the garden hose and a buffer after a run to smooth out the paint and Dale's good to go.

Gonna be a while though before those axles see service. I gotta get some more parts before i start and i gotta make sure i got a temporary vehicle secured when doing the work so im looking at earliest of start of summer, most likely gonna be start of the fall. We'll see how it goes. If i can do it right im gonna mock up as much of it as i can off the truck and then bring it all up to the truck. Im thinking that my dad and i can make a platform that we can weld to the existing frame to hold the leafs for the front. Just gotta see some more of what the other trucks that have done this have on their front ends and go from there. Rear is gonna be a cake walk with spring over axle (and probably an add a leaf to help the old springs out) but im going to convert the rear from drum to disc, though if budget is a problem then ill run with whats there for now (shoes are ok though could be replaced but the drums themselves are almost like new inside).

Old 01-21-2008, 04:40 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Look forward to seeing ole dale sky high Rob, I am working on my suspension as well to bring mine closer to the earth as you go sky high!! We will most deffinitly have to get some good pics of the both of them next to and if all goes well me under yours, can't wait we both are going to be on the same time schedule as far as getting ours done. It will be interesting to have build up threads of each going with pics and plenty of info!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 11:55 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

would a blazer be able to fit under another blazer with 35's on it? i dont think a 4dr is long enough to do it

Old 01-21-2008, 12:37 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Good find there Rob. It'll look sweet when you get it all done. As far as parking a lowered blazer under yours, it will be tough. Might have to park the front end up on an embankment or some tires or something and then it might fit. Also I am not sure about the width like matt said above.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:09 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

sweet deal Rob! ur gunna be flyin sky high lol ya w/ 35s+ idk if a lowered blazer will fit width wise like they've been sayin

Old 01-21-2008, 01:34 PM

Hmm, ill have to measure the wheel base on dale once i start building him up. Admittedly the front axle is going a touch further forward as the factory axle is not centered in the wheel arch but this is at most maybe an inch or so difference so nothing major. Width wise it might be close but we'll see. Maybe ill bring some boulders with me to car shows to park on.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:55 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

There you go, I like the boulders idea

Old 01-21-2008, 03:01 PM

Well i was thinking either boulders or old pintos, but the bolders sounded easier and less messy, LOL. Of course I'm kidding.

Quick Reply: Gift to me