General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

going to be doing some work on the blazer

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:25 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Buschkj24
yea i know about the slide pins, i re-grease the pins every time i do a brake job. my parking brake seems to move just fine in the car so it shouldnt be seized up or anything...hell even when i have it fully applied the pads dont even touch so i should be able to slide the rotor off without worry about a groove being formed haha
If you're referring to your Blazer...it's not a car. It's a truck . lol...sorry, I hate when people call it a car. It can get confusing.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:34 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sisk
If you're referring to your Blazer...it's not a car. It's a truck . lol...sorry, I hate when people call it a car. It can get confusing.
no, that's just wrong.

what's anoying is when people refer to the trunk lid as the hood-that's confusing! took me years to get my wife to stop saying "whatever".

Old 03-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Starting Member
Buschkj24 is on a distinguished road

i always call the blazer the truck...i really dont know why i called it a car haha

Old 03-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sisk
You might run into issues with the park brake on the rear rotors too. A lot of times they will be seized and you end up breaking or damaging your rear rotors beyond repair (from what I've heard anyway..I haven't attempted mine yet).

thats what happened to mine sisk. i put the parking brake on cause i was doing some work up underneath and need the lever moved. well the brakes dragged all the way to work and back. ate my pads and one rotor.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
thats what happened to mine sisk. i put the parking brake on cause i was doing some work up underneath and need the lever moved. well the brakes dragged all the way to work and back. ate my pads and one rotor.
Um... On a disk brake rear axle, the brake pads and main caliper don't have anything to do with the parking brake. That is an internal drum inside the rotor so it would be a brake shoe... But I guess if you don't know, you make stuff up...

Old 03-09-2010, 04:14 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

maybe he meant the inside shoes, & the inside of the rotor Kyle?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I know what he meant, but he has a rather bad habit of not knowing that himself.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:27 PM
BF Guru

hey, i was just trying to be nice for a change.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Oh, I know what he meant, but he has a rather bad habit of not knowing that himself.
come on kyle!! lol.

i was just sharing my experience. the parking brake cable was locked up. when i removed the rear tire. the rotor was destroyed and the pads. well they were not there. there was just these 2 cool shiny things. just the backing of what holds the pad. i disengaged the cable. and replaced both rear brakes and rotors cause it was do for it anyways on the other side. ii also greased the slide pins. since then i've not used the parking brake and i have not had any problems. so idk if there was some way by engaging the parking brake would cause the rotors to be damaged. i suppose the caliper must have been dragging really bad. thats the only other possibility i can think of

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
hey, i was just trying to be nice for a change.
thanks chris

Old 03-09-2010, 04:49 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
come on kyle!! lol.

i was just sharing my experience. the parking brake cable was locked up. when i removed the rear tire. the rotor was destroyed and the pads. well they were not there. there was just these 2 cool shiny things. just the backing of what holds the pad. i disengaged the cable. and replaced both rear brakes and rotors cause it was do for it anyways on the other side. ii also greased the slide pins. since then i've not used the parking brake and i have not had any problems. so idk if there was some way by engaging the parking brake would cause the rotors to be damaged. i suppose the caliper must have been dragging really bad. thats the only other possibility i can think of
You cant be serious.

There is NO WAY you messed up your pads/rotors but engaging the parking brake. You probably did it buy trying to show off to your friends and brake stand your truck.

Ill highlight for you

1. Exclusive Parking Brakes
  2. Exclusive parking brake systems use disc and drum brake technology. For normal braking, discs are used. But for parking brakes, a drum brake is used. Rather than the halves of the drum sitting inside of the wheel hub, they sit against the inside of the rotor. This allows for stronger grip and a failsafe should one type of brake or the other stop functioning suddenly when on the road. Like with a drum brake, the halves of the drum are pushed outward to grab against the inside of the rotor and prevent it from moving when the parking brake is engaged via hydraulic linkage.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5497182...ake-works.html

Quick Reply: going to be doing some work on the blazer