General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

going to be doing some work on the blazer

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TheBrettster
You cant be serious.

There is NO WAY you messed up your pads/rotors but engaging the parking brake. You probably did it buy trying to show off to your friends and brake stand your truck.

Ill highlight for you

1. Exclusive Parking Brakes
  2. Exclusive parking brake systems use disc and drum brake technology. For normal braking, discs are used. But for parking brakes, a drum brake is used. Rather than the halves of the drum sitting inside of the wheel hub, they sit against the inside of the rotor. This allows for stronger grip and a failsafe should one type of brake or the other stop functioning suddenly when on the road. Like with a drum brake, the halves of the drum are pushed outward to grab against the inside of the rotor and prevent it from moving when the parking brake is engaged via hydraulic linkage.
http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5497182...ake-works.html

nope, no brake stands.

like i said it happened right after the parking brake was engaged. so thats why i thought it could be , assuming isn't always the answer. only other possibility is the caliper slide pins were sticking causing the pads to lock up. therefore destroying the rotor

also for some reason i was picturing the blazers parking brake to be intrical. i don't know why since its just simple cable actuated.

Last edited by Spectreblazer; 03-09-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Starting Member
Buschkj24 is on a distinguished road

Well today was the day from hell! i started out replacing my rear brakes and everything for the "most" part went smoothly, however my caliper was sticking so i thought i would try a new brake hose. After running all over town to multiple part stores, the last store finally had the right hose in stock. Went home and put the new hose on..tried the brake and the caliper was still sticking. So I went back to the auto parts store and picked up a new caliper. Went home and installed the caliper and tried again and it seems to be working perfectly now. So I replaced the pads and rotors on both sides and a new hose and caliper on the drivers side. When I was replacing the pads on the passenger side, one of the slide pins was seized up, but i broke it free and installed a new pin after i cleaned all the rust out hole in the bracket. Then I moved to the front of the truck and replaced the rotors (just put new pads on about 10K miles ago so still plenty of life) and I managed to break two ratchets and twisted..yes twisted an extension, but finally got the rotors off and replaced. Total bill was about 250 bucks for everything, just imagine how much that would have cost if I were to take my truck to a shop! now the only thing left is to install my spark plugs, but that will be next week haha