General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Good, Cheap, Coolant leak fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough
Default Good, Cheap, Coolant leak fix

The guy at the dealer sold me this 6 pack of sealing tabs when I went for oil filters. My rad was puking out the drivers side where the plastic tank is crimped onto the metal rad core. I was instructed to crush ONE tab into powder and add it to the radiator then use the truck as usual. If its not a fine powder, then it can plug up the rad and heater cores tubing and thats bad. I used a mortar and pestle to powder one disc.

2 days later the leak started getting much better. I used to leak a gallon of water a day, about 50 KM. Now I havent added anything to the resevoir in days, and the leak makes tiny little puddles only sometimes... Great little trick these things. Costed me about 6 dollars for the package. It was 19 for 2 oil filters and the tablets. This is what they look like and the part number if anyone is interested.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:58 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I never knew that AC Delco made something like these. I've always been against adding any kind of stop leak, regardless of the system. This post might just change my mind as far as coolant goes.

Though, I still prefer to fix the problem rather than put a bandaid on it.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:25 PM
croozer is on a distinguished road

Glad it worked for you. Those tablets look like and a product that has been around for years and years,now its just put into a different, condensed shape. I think the name of it was silver seal..it came in a loose,powder form.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:02 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

croozer, I used that stuff! It was about a month ago. But never stopped my leak. Well thats cuz it was a crack in the plastic haha. New rad fixed that.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:44 PM

Yeah I just wanted the band aide, dont want to buy a new rad cause I dont know what engine I want to have in this truck eventually.

Today, its not leaking at all!

This stuff just takes a while.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:39 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

How quick did it take effect? Like would it be worth it to carry a pack around in case a coolant leak happens?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:32 AM

It took about 2 days, or on-drive to work-off 4 times to take effect. Ive added nothing now in the last couple days. It makes little floatys that expand when they go from wet to air he said.

I would just carry one around and give 5 to other people. I would drive now far away I am confident it stopped my leak, and my leak was a bad one. I know its a bandaid, but I dont want to buy a radiator right now till I get this beast up and torn apart and figure out my gameplan. Turbo V6 or V8 swap...

Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Those must have been NOS because IIRC, GM stopped offering those a couple of years back due to claims that they were plugging coolant systems. The dealer used them once when I had the system flushed. Glad they worked for you.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:16 PM
yagermeister is on a distinguished road

My camaro had some leaks due to corrosion (think someone put the wrong coolant in ),I put this stuff kseal in it comes in a little blue (i think ) bottle.seals on contact with air so it only hardens when it find a leak ,also sensor safe .fixed it right up.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:26 AM

OK, so I decided to try a second tab after I was still getting tiny puddles, and it stopped it completely. Its been a few days now and the level never changes. As for them plugging the heater and rad, I used a mortar and pestel to gring it into powder, it specifies that on the package too. Its probably the lazy guys that just roll it under a socket or something and have chunks in it that get plugged up...

Stuff worked great, and I give it two thumbs up. Any my heater will melt your bootsoles.

Last edited by ohsofly; 09-17-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Good, Cheap, Coolant leak fix