General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 06:33 PM
Colinh699 is on a distinguished road
Default Good deal?

Old 02-20-2024, 08:25 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Find out what code(s) there are, the mileage, and if the lower the lower intake manifold gasket has been changed.

Old 02-20-2024, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by AJBert
Find out what code(s) there are, the mileage, and if the lower the lower intake manifold gasket has been changed.
I have a good scan tool I’d bring with me, miles are 180,xxx and I assumed the oil leak was more than likely rear main seal?

Old 02-23-2024, 09:30 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Plan on rebuilding the transmission shortly after 200k. The most I've seen 4L60E make it has been 235K. With that many miles I'm sure the LIM gasket has been changed. If that is the rear seal leaking, either the engine needs to be pulled to do it, or you might get lucky by putting a chain hoist on the engine to lift it up. I would offer less to be honest. More than likely the seller would take less. He does call it a beater, after all.

If the engine looks as if had just been clean, start it up and find out exactly where that leak is coming from.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:35 PM

Plan on rebuilding the transmission shortly after 200k. The most I've seen 4L60E make it has been 235K. With that many miles I'm sure the LIM gasket has been changed. If that is the rear seal leaking, either the engine needs to be pulled to do it, or you might get lucky by putting a chain hoist on the engine to lift it up. I would offer less to be honest. More than likely the seller would take less. He does call it a beater, after all.

If the engine looks as if had just been clean, start it up and find out exactly where that leak is coming from.

I have a buddy with an s10 sitting right around 270k miles on 4l60 as long as you take care of them they can last, I planned on getting a shift kit for it though and dropping the tranny to install it and rebuild it soon after purchasing anyway, also replacing the rear main while I’m at it if that’s what’s leaking anyway. Was definitely going to offer less, I mean doesn’t hurt to try, I was thinking about trying to talk down to $1,300-$1,500 depending on rust and how bad the oil leak is.

Old 02-24-2024, 09:46 PM
BF Veteran

The oil leak could also be the oil lines from the block to the filter block or the lines from the filter to the oil cooler. I helped a guy today thought that his oil pan was leaking. I was helping him with his 4wd system and took a look at his oil covered underbelly (not his belly but his trucks belly). His oil cooler line(s) were definitely leaking. We are both hoping that is all.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:04 PM

The oil leak could also be the oil lines from the block to the filter block or the lines from the filter to the oil cooler. I helped a guy today thought that his oil pan was leaking. I was helping him with his 4wd system and took a look at his oil covered underbelly (not his belly but his trucks belly). His oil cooler line(s) were definitely leaking. We are both hoping that is all.
I actually didn’t even really think of that but good point, I had a buddy that his rear main would leak so bad onto his exhaust that it would look like a sauna underneath his truck lmao. But yeah that would be ideal. I should be getting in in a few weeks, guy said he’d hold it for me (hoping he actually does) but I’m in the middle of switching jobs so moneys a bit tight currently.