General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Handicap and need ideas/advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 04:03 PM
drcoconut is on a distinguished road
Default Handicap and need ideas/advice

I have a 89 Blazer 2wd. I am suppose to be getting a new electric scooter in the next couple of weeks (with insurance - who knows), Because of my height and physical needs it is pretty big. Pursuit XL - Specifications, Owner's Manual, Features & Benefits
This is a brochure and is safe to download if it asks you.

What I would like to do is a 2/3 drop to get the height right for me to enter/exit drivers seat. I also would like to be able to drop the rear as low as I can (airbags?) to make loading onto a ramp easier. The ramp will be held by class III hitch and has a fold-up drive ramp on one side similar to the one below.

I am on a disablitity budget so I don't have a lot to spend. I would really like to do a 4-link in the rear and bag the front but I can't afford it. I''ve got about $4-500 total to spend not counting the lift. I have already pulled the bumper, welded in a roll pan and modded a junk yard hitch reciever that sticks out just below the roll pan. I am at a loss as where to go from here.

The scooter and batteries and lift are going to weight about 500lbs. I thought about putting AirLift Load Conrol or Load lifter 5000s on her. My concern with the Load Control bag is it is so small I don't think it can handle the wgt and it will not allow as much drop as the bigger 5000 bag will. I also am considering taking a band or two out of the rear springs to help it drop lower. I am running stock wheels and tires 15". I also thought about putting a 2" drop spindle on the front. I just finished putting new shocks, arms, bushings, tie rod ends and front wheel bearings. I did not replace the spindles or springs but I did clean and paint them.

Help Help Help. I need ideas and input before I lay out any more of the little monies I have.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:04 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

To be quite honest with you doctor,I really don't think a Blazer is the best vehicle of choice,especially if its an S-series,for a mobility challenged individual.There are too many other vehicles that lend themselves much better to conversions for these physical challanges and for which parts are already widely available for. If it is a full-size Blazer any fire deparment or EMT squad will be able to point you in the right direction for vendors that will be able to assist you in obtaining virtually anything you may require!
Best wishes and let us know the results!

Old 09-24-2012, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the input. I agree it would be less of a challenge on a bigger rig, but what's life without a challenge? When I was better able to move my head without the world spinning like a top I had an F150 & Suburban - both with rear chair lifts. Right now the smaller Blazer fits just right and is just the right size for me to handle. Besides all that it's what I gots so I has to make do. There are no funds to start over with something else.
My biggest quandry is "will the smaller Load Control bags enough to handle the added 500 or so lbs cantelevered off the back or do I need to go with the larger 5000s whitch will probably require more mods to the rear suspension.
What are your thoughts?

Old 09-24-2012, 03:58 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

what i would do is go to a suspension shop and ask for a estimate.
they will be able to tell you what are some options. estimates are free so all you would lose is time. i wish i had a better answer, but that is all i have.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:39 PM
trobbins is on a distinguished road

is yor blazer a 4dr or 2dr?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

dropping it shouldn't be to hard. You can lower the rear with blocks and lower the front with smaller coil springs.
The shop shouldn't charge much doing this job either. All depends on labor rate near you. Also the lowering kits are not much either. Around 150ish for front and back.

Edit: 2 inch front and 3 for the back.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/S10-SONOMA-B...b64cbd&vxp=mtr

many more options on ebay to choose from.

Last edited by xgiovannix12; 09-24-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:07 AM

Thanks for all your input.
SHE IS AN 89 2DR S10 Blazer.
I have already reworked the front suspension - new disks, calipers, A-arms, bushings, shocks. The only things I did not replace were the coil springs and spindles.
I found a set of 2" drop spindles for $85 on eBay.
2" LOWERING/DROP SPINDLES 82-03 CHEVY S10/SONOMA | eBay
I've seen 3" drop blocks around $35-40.

Has anyone done bags on the rear? if so what size? Any install challenges?

Thanks,
Dr C

Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 AM

So Far I have been able to do all the work I listed in last note and more on my own. This includes forming and welding a rear roll pan and taking a trialer hitch and modding it to fit with the roll pan and welding it together and to the frame.

I can do the labor it just takes me a week to do what a non-MSer could do in a day. I can only work for a couple of hours at a time.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge as I am anxious to get on with the suspension as soon as I finish painting her this week. I hope this week!

Old 09-25-2012, 11:41 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Bags is a lot of work imo . IM sure someone will chime in who knows more about bagging one.

The kits listed above are really straight forward to install.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:52 AM
trobbins is on a distinguished road

how are you trying to get in, cause i have a buddy that just had his fabbed up to drive in threw the rear hatch an his seat swivels so he can get in an sit down then turns around. but also there a shop in my town that converts cars into working order for people in wheel chairs an everything to were they redo the hinges so the pass door will open further an they can back in an the center is removed so they can just scoot over to the driver

Quick Reply: Handicap and need ideas/advice