General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Hello!

Old 10-31-2007, 02:52 PM
Dhurteau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello!

Alright. Im new here. I know VERY LITTLE about the 4.3l engines, as I was a lexus driver untill an accident last week. I am now the happy owner of a 1999 4wheel drive chevy blazer. I have to say admitly I used to make fun of this truck, for the reason it seemed so cheap. Before the 1996 lexus es300 I had. I owned a 1993 chevy blazer. Fullsize. 350smallblock. Loved that truck.

I have a few questions.

There are two tow hooks in the very front of the truck, and a green plastic bit around it. Is it possiable to take the plastic bit off. to help it look more 4x4? And if i do take it off. Will it perform different (everythings on a vehical for a reason)

I was also wondering. Is there a way you can strap a spair to the roof? Im not talking mcgyver with rope and such. Im talking real mounts.

Is there anything I can do to help increase full millage? I used to get 17-24 out of the 350small block because alot of modifications my father and I made to it, IE spacer plate etc. throtle position, idel etc.

Also, what can i look for in average gas milage in one of these things?

And are there any cheap mods that can be done to the engine etc.

At some point i plan on making it a real 4x4. Is that recomended? Do they hold up well?

Sorry for all the questions. I have little understanding about the chevy engines other then a small block. And whatever I knew with my rebadged toyota, is probablly useless here.

ANOTHER THING.

Anyone recomend the k&n cold air intake for this? Or stay stock.

Thanks! and I hope to learn alot.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:22 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Hello!

Welcome.

The green valence can be taken off just by pulling on it. (There might be two screws but i'm not sure) The 4.3 is basically a 350 block with two cylinders cut off btw. MPG there is reallly nothing you can do beside change the fuel filter and make sure everything is running smooth. Throttle body spacers really dont do much for the 4.3 but make a whistle when you accelerate. In my blazer with a freshy rebuilt engine and an edelbrock performer kit on it I get around 13.3 mpg. My driving is 50 percent highway and 50 percent Street. I have 4x4 and I love it. I haven't had a problem with getting stuck or it not being able to make it up a hill and I'm runing BFG Radials :P . The only problem I have is ground clearence which I will be fixing soon. I beat my blazer pretty hard offroad with not one problem. Infact I'm still able to take it to the dealership and they say it looks brand new!

Old 10-31-2007, 04:05 PM

I see alot of you guys around here with brush guards and such. Im looking for a decent skidd plate. (I think thats what it is, the metal bit that goes inbetween the hooks underneeth the truck.

Where is a good place to look for parts for my truck online?

In a way, im glad I lost my luxury borefest. Don't get me wrong. Its a great car. But its hard to not look like a snobby *** driving a Lexus.

Im looking forward to being able to actually feel my steering, a sound that only american cars can make. and good ol' roots of Chevy.

I want this thing to be a mean 4x4.

As for light bars. id like to get one for my roof. Where can i find one? I have been so out of touch with trucks. I have no clue where to look.

As for lifting a bit. How hard/expensive. is it to lift it? Can it be done with springs? Or do you need a whole new setup. Im not looking for a huge lift. just something a bit higher. 2-4inches?

Laybor isnt an issue. I can do most of it my self. I just i need to know where to buy parts?

Im asking alot of questions.

But thanks for the questions answerd so far, and the warm welcome

Old 10-31-2007, 05:24 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

LMC truck has many parts for the blazer. You can order a catalog by clicking me. I got my lift price at a local shop for around 1300, thats with a 6 inch lift and 33 Mud Terrains. I dont know what lift it is but it wasnt any bobby brown lift.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:42 PM

what about lightbars? where can i find those? I dont care for all this chrome stuff. I want something flat black.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:03 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

lightbar as ina bar up front or a bar up top? i havent seen any bars meant for the top but there are a few members with lights mounted on the front bar of the roof rack

SYNERGY OFFROAD is a great place to look for stuff for our trucks. it is owned by a member on this site and nearly everything on there is meant for an s-series truck or the colorado/canyon series trucks
http://www.summitracing.com also has quite a bit of stuff available

you can adjust the torsion bars to give you about 1.5-2 inches of lift for the front and buy lift shackles or add-a-leafs to lif the rear

and like thebrettster said, the 4.3 is a 350 -2 cylinders... 350/5.7 = 262/4.3

Old 11-01-2007, 02:33 PM

say if i was going to go the route of lifting it with the torison bar, and adding a leaf. Would i just need to add one leaf?

Is there a guide on the torison bar?

Ps i got lucky i was scavaging the lexus. the bright white sylvania silver star's i bought for the lexus fit the blazer.

Also when i take the front valence peice off, where can i bolt the front licence plate so its legal?

Old 11-01-2007, 10:36 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

im not sure about the add-a-leaf

THIS guide has good pictures showing the tbars and the bolts

and THIS guide explains the process a little more

im not sure about the license plate. there are lots of guys around my area that have their front plate laying on the dash near the windshield... i have seen suction cup kits that are meant for holding the plate against the windshield

Old 11-18-2007, 12:05 PM
quinnman105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the forum. If you have questions ask away.