General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Hello fellow Blazer friends

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 12:43 PM
matt4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default Hello fellow Blazer friends

Just picked myself up a black '98 Blazer LT with a bush bar, 4 door, 4x4, automatic. I am honestly loving it. Love the sunroof, love the automatic start ($200) for the winter, love that I have half decent winter tires ($200) on it, new radiator ($400), new windshield ($200), new stereo ($200). Its even raised a little bit. The tires do rub, the tire offset puts the tire just beyond the body which I will make legal by wider custom fenders.

The only major issues with my rig is the remote oil line, and the idler and pitman arm are both worn. I guess the owner just went to mechanic and got a quote to fix everything, was too much for him I guess. I dont know but as I was looking around for something to buy, $1500 seems about average for a 1998 Blazer. Plus I got all the other stuff I just mentioned, worth about $1000, so I think I got a smoking deal on it. So even if the extras are worth $750, the rig alone is only $750. I definately think buddy took it to a mechanic and said $2000 to fix it all, then the owner looked at the book value and decided to sell it. He had a ton of vehicles on his front lawn, so I was hesitant at first, but he seemed honest. The other thing that turned me off was when I started the rig up, to look at engine, for odd noises, he turned it off quickly as I moved on to look at the body and under the rig.

I trully do think I scored on buying this rig. I can go to the junk yard and pick up 2 front calipers, 2 front rotors, 2 front brake pads, and brake hoses, parking brake linkage, front suspension shocks, and the price will still be a hundred or so bucks.

I plan on doing a suspension lift and body lift, fender flares, an offroad roof rack, rear tire/jerry-can/gas/jack swing mount, and most of all a winch. Even still I will have the IFS, which is the weak spot. I can always do a solid front end later, buy a kit or whatever.

Right now I am going through about a litre of oil every few days from this remote oil filter line, but it will be fixed today or tomorrow. I am hoping thats all it is, get it fixed, then find a solution for HD lines!, maybe braided!

Old 12-27-2014, 09:09 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

the cooler lines are very common
It is usually the compression clamp bands where it transitions from rigid aluminum to rubber flex

do a search and you will find several ways on how to tackle the issue

BTW
guys have used new replacement lines only to have the same issue in a short time

Old 12-28-2014, 01:07 AM

I am hitting the junk yard tomorrow, just finished today with the L.F. caliper, bracket and pads. Tomorrow I am getting the other pads, maybe rotors if my digital measuring tool can act like a micrometer, oil cooler lines, parking brake lines. Should be a couple hour job, good to practice on the junkers then I will know what to do on my rig. Had a nasty nut today on the bottom left front bracket bolt, it finally came loose when I was doing the 2 wrench deal to get extra leverage on it. Felt like I was going to break my nice brand new mastercraft wrench. But hey I can just return it and get a new one!

Old 01-03-2015, 09:59 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

You may find this useful

https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...r-lines-47297/

And for the oil lines - the remedy on the 1st gen Blazers. This is a bit more complicated but solved the problem once and for all.
Going strong since some 6 years now. Might be a workable way also on the 2nd gen but I don't know that car at all.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...-cooler-29968/

Old 01-06-2015, 02:42 PM

Looks interesting for sure. I personally have not been able to look at the issue at hand. But Just a cursory glance, the metal/rubber most likely fail area. All I did was take off the cover thing in the parking lot of a Canadian Tire and glance at it. Its too darn cold out, going to be that way for awhile, went to the local DIY garage, place had all 5 lifts rented out on a Monday (Jan 5), once I have the lines off, I will get a better working knowledge. I am not about to spend $150 for 2 rubber hoses. Just take one off a 98 from junk yard, go to a shop and tell them to make it right.