General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Help me decide.1st or 2nd generation s-10.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Mag-300 is on a distinguished road
Default Help me decide.1st or 2nd generation s-10.

Hello all.
I recently posted on several sites to get advice on these little trucks and blazers.I have all ready built a 91 s10 4x4 extended cab and it has been serving me well.I have a 4 door blazer body and frame along with another 2 door blazer.I also have a 95 truck with the Z vortec matched to a 5-speed 4x4.2 95 blazers.Both 4 door 4x4's.One completely without guts...engine or drive train.Also have enough parts saved to build one of each.I USE my vehicles for towing in other autos on my tow dolly to part out.You wouldn't believe the hills here.I basically want a truck and blazer from the same year and sell the other stuff.
So what what you do?
Which do you all consider to be the better of the 2?

Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

/disclaimer on . . .First things first the following is my own personal opinion, no offense intended toward anyone if I have somehow offended you or your beloved Blazer I sincerely apologize in advance. . . /end disclaimer

1st gen all the way! 2nd gen body style has....no style plus they are WAY too common everyday I get asked how old my truck is and people's jaws drop when they hear it's 16 years old with almost 300k miles on it motor and tranny still original as far as I know (had 80k on the clock when I acquired it) not to mention you can avoid all the multifunction and ignition switch headaches! And the long extension through the wheel well to get at that spark plug everyone seems to have such problems changing is only a 2 minute chore on a 1st gen!

Old 08-20-2010, 08:27 AM

Thank you so very much.NO offense taken at all.Actually the 4 door body I spoke of is the same as your photo.My 91 has over 270,000 miles on it.It has been abused severely by the previous owners.I just wanted to get some HONEST answers and opinions such as yours.I also have to decide on the 4 or 2 door models.We have a family but I really like the little 89 2 door.Has anyone ever hacked the rear fender wells to fit the rear seat out of a 4 door in a 2 door?
Thanks again

Old 08-20-2010, 08:39 AM

Well considering how easily comments can be misinterpreted on the internet and this wonderful forum has so many 2nd gens I like to include that to avoid any unnecessary misunderstandings before they happen.
I'm sure there are people that feel the same way about first gens as I do about 2nd gen it all comes down to personal choice it's going to be your truck you are going to be driving it everyday don't make a hasty choice wait for others to post their thoughts/comments and weigh everything from both sides of the fence so you can make the most informed decision possible.

In the end it's still a Blazer . . . 'nuff said.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:39 PM

A quick question.Outsydr. What are you speaking of when you say......not to mention you can avoid all the multifunction and ignition switch headaches!

Old 08-20-2010, 07:33 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I think it's just a personal opoinion thing there is tons of 2nd gens where I live but like all of them are stock so any modding would make it stand out. Which it maby just me but I want something that stands out. As for reliability I have heard some complaints from people driving both gens but I would probably say I hear a bit more from 2nd gens.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

a 1st Gen, TBI, 5 speed, 2 door, 4.3, manual transfer case, would be the best S10 in my opinion. GM automatics are ok though. I miss my TBI truck

Old 08-20-2010, 09:27 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mag-300
Hello all.
I also have a 95 truck with the Z vortec matched to a 5-speed 4x4.2 95 blazers.

no such engine. it's either a Z code TBI, or a W code CPI (Vortec). being a '95, it won't be a Z code.

as for my personal choice................i agree with Outsydr all the way-1st gen.

while i really like my '98 4 door, 4WD LT Blazer, i would trade it in a second to have my '92 Jimmy in my sig again.

Originally Posted by Outsydr
And the long extension through the wheel well to get at that spark plug everyone seems to have such problems changing is only a 2 minute chore on a 1st gen!

who says it's any different on a 2nd gen? it takes me the same amount of time on my '98, as it did on any of the 7 1st gen trucks i had.

Originally Posted by Mag-300
A quick question.Outsydr. What are you speaking of when you say......not to mention you can avoid all the multifunction and ignition switch headaches!

that, my friend, has to be the biggest problem with the 2nd gens, IMO. it does what the name implies, controls about 5 (maybe 6? can't remember right now............) systems, and when it decides to take a crap (ie, not work properly) it'll drive you up the wall with all the wakkyness it'll do. it's inside your steering coluum in case you were wondering where it might be.

luckily, my '98 hasn't suffered from that issue yet.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by 84BlazerS10
I think it's just a personal opoinion thing there is tons of 2nd gens where I live but like all of them are stock so any modding would make it stand out. Which it maby just me but I want something that stands out. As for reliability I have heard some complaints from people driving both gens but I would probably say I hear a bit more from 2nd gens.
It is indeed personal opinion some of us prefer 1st gen styling while others prefer 2nd gen, it's all opinion there are no hard and fast answers like omg this one is better and here's the proof why!

It is relative there are many more 2nd gens around these days so naturally you will hear more about those, I never said one gen was more reliable than the other that comes down to how well you take care of your truck a well maintained one will be FAR more reliable than one beat to death no matter year, make, or model.

As far as standing out with a 1st gen it's easy get rid of the rust and put a decent paint job on it they are so old (mine is last year of that body and it is 16 yrs old) that 99% of them are rust bucket beaters makes the well kept ones stand out in the crowd.

For the multifunction and ignition switch headaches meh it's a common problem with the 2nd gens a quick search of this very forum for mutifunction switch or ignition switch will yield plenty of results to fill you in on what I mean.

All that being said let's be fair I love 1st gens I have made that abundantly clear but they have their own issues they just don't tend to be as hairpulling frustrating to track down the cause of as the more electronic centered 2nd gens, however 2nd gens have the advantage of a simple swap with companies like waitformetune or pcmforless to adjust for bigger tires, better shift points etc. 1st gens just make it easier to eliminate the computer crap totally and go old school if you so choose.

Sorry for the book didn't mean to be so long winded lol just trying to be fair to both sides here and give the guy the info he seeks to make the choice that is best for him.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:49 AM

Old Skool,I thought the same thing until April.
There was a friend who was in need of help diagnosing this old truck.I told him there was NO SUCH KRITTER built by GM.He must be confused with his Ford Ranger.After driving all the down I was very pleased to be wrong.
There it was a rusted out 95 with a stock TBI 4.3.All of the RPO codes matched.5-speed manual 4x4 shifter with 3.42 gear ratio.I took a lot of photos never thinking I'd end up with it nor did I really want it.You know( covet not thy neighbors *** or goods).Months later they called and had taken our advise and was able to get it running fairly good but was tired of messing around and the new owner had developed lung cancer and needed to sell it.After so consolidation of funds and time,we took my 91 and tow dolley down and brought her home.The family now affectionatly call it BLINK (because of lighting bugs) and it is so tiny...I guess.
I hope this photo shows up.I am new at adding them,so please be patient.If it does show...take notice to the firewall and the stock sticker.
Thanks for your input.

Attached Thumbnails Help me decide.1st or 2nd generation s-10.-100_3909.jpg  

Quick Reply: Help me decide.1st or 2nd generation s-10.