General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Help me decide.1st or 2nd generation s-10.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Mag-300 is on a distinguished road

Hello,sorry for not updating lately.No body seemed to interested in my thread so I kinda gave up for a while.Eventually we decided to go with the older s-10 blazer since they seemed more reliable and we had parts.Did get my self into a mess.I have been rebuilding the 4.3 engine from the 92.Seems like every time I get into it either I break something or I have to leave it unfinished for a while.Recently broke the number 6 piston and new ring installing it.Ring compressor tool broke then another slipped off and I just messed up.Try to find another piston right now.I have a 95 and 99.Cracked both of them open an hour or so ago to find the skirts are different like the older 350 I have.
I to have heard bad things about the push button 4wd acting screwy.Another big reason for the older style.Thanks so much for your input.All is appreciated.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:16 PM

Hello again.
Thought it was time for a small update.I have been busy again working on the 4.3 engine.Got it all together and finally got it down into the old blazer.Guess what the dumb thing wouldn't start.Took a while but figured out that the book was wrong and I had it 180 out.Then the throttle body was old(1989) and one injector was dripping.I rebuilt that and it is running.Not as good as I had hoped for.Has a tick or something in the rocker arms on passenger side.Sometimes it strikes loudly and sounds like a knock.Gonna have to figure out the correct procedure for tightening those.The engine is a 92 CPFI vortec with a 1989 intake and TBI system.All of the sensors was from the 89.Other than that once I unplugged the pc and set the time it wants to stagger and backfire when accelerated quickly.I am getting low fuel pressure reading so I have to change the pump.I just wanted to make sure my idea worked before going any further.So far I haven't been able to drive it yet.Rebuilding the front end and newer front differential.Kinda scared to to be honest.Hope I did everything correctly.Been PRAYING real hard.
I thought this was going to be short.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Oystein is on a distinguished road

Oh man that sounds fun, keep it up and keep us updated!

Old 05-28-2011, 07:05 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you are having some fun, good luck getting it going.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:10 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
no such engine. it's either a Z code TBI, or a W code CPI (Vortec). being a '95, it won't be a Z code.

Ehh gm put some round looking valve covers on some of the older tbi's that said "vortec v6" on them..Not really sure why. ive seen them while at junkyards. il get a pic of em if you want.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:35 AM

Hi guys.
Worked on the engine last night.I went ahead and removed the valve covers.One of the nuts was not tight allowing the dreadful popping noise.Once it went silent I figured better check it out.I got to looking in the book again and again read that the rockers should be torqued to 20 foot pound.It still didn't register that it was a 92 CPFI block and heads.For future reference the heads are 14099064 but they have the single hump on them front and rear.Once I quit staring at the throttle body which is an 89,I decided to adjust the rockers according to the book.I had previously adjusted like so many older v-8...with the engine running.Not to good.I took all of the push rods out and checked them...they were still good.Rockers...good.So I applied red rtv to the threads (just to be safe) but once torqued to 20 foot pound I doubt they will ever work loose.Went to fire it up after all was back together and no fuel.Again remembered I have not yet replaced the fuel pump.Worked switch back and forth about 3 or 4 times and it ran.A lot of the noise is gone but still have a diesel sound under the manifold.I don't know if it the balance shaft or just what.I am wondering if it doesn't have enough fuel if it could be like a spark knock.Still have plenty of oil pressure.starts at 80 then drops to 65-70 once it warms a little.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 02-17-2012, 08:56 PM

Wow I haven't been able to update for a while.Internet or something acting up and wouldn't allow me to update this post.Hope it works.
Since the last post(about 179 years ago) I have done a lot of work to the blazer.
The rockers just needed to be run.The little engine runs smooth like a new one again.
Am still having a lot of trouble with the fuel and knock sensor systems.
It falls on it's face at about 1600 rpms.There are time where I can put this thing out on our dirt road and goose it and it just tears the earth up and throws it up over and onto both sides of the hood.My wife is not at all pleased or impressed since she is the one who painted it.
Funny seems to me we (men) have all done stupid things like this to earn our place in their hearts.Things got switched somehow.
I am at the point where I have tried about everything I can think of to make this work with the throttle body.
I am collecting the parts for CPFI in case of failure which depressingly enough looks like it close.I just don't think it's getting enough fuel for the larger cam and head system.
Sorry it has been so long.
Hope to be more active hear.May even switch dial up internet service provider.