General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

help me revive this cadaverous blazer!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Starting Member
kidkboom is on a distinguished road
Default help me revive this cadaverous blazer!

Hey everybody! I know I don't belong here - I know little to nothing about cars, only about computers, and not even the kind that go IN cars. But I'm coming here to ask the experts and enthusiasts to get just a general idea..

A friend of mine is giving me his old Blazer because he got "blessed" with a new car. It's a 99 s10 blazer, and what's wrong with it, anectodally, is 1) a fuel pump that needs completely replaced; 2) a DLC that has been partially or mostly "ripped out" and thus can't be used to test emissions, and 3) it needs to pass emissions (which could actually be waived if i can show I spent $500 fixing the other things).

What i'm looking for is SOME idea of how much $$ i should bring to the table to get this problem solved... I'm going to pay to have the vehicle towed to my complex, and title it, then let it sit there until I can make the next move to get it working.. anyone have any, even the wildest, estimation of how much money I should get ahold of to hope to get this fixed? I know it's probably impossible to give an accurate answer given the pithy info that i have, but even a crazy estimate might help me not get ripped off trying to get this fixed..

Thanks in advance for your help on this - I'm really glad this forum exists.
luck/life/kidkboom

Old 11-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Are you working on it yourself or will you have a shop do the work?

To start off, why do you think that the fuel pump is in need of replacement? To determine if the pump is bad or possibly some other part of the fuel system, you should run through the fuel system diagnostic procedure as laid out in the Tech Article section.

A pump replacement will cost ~$200 in parts for an AC Delco pump if you get a good deal, but will cost considerably more than $200 in labor and all of that just to get it running if the pump really is bad. That isn't part of the emissions work...

The DLC shouldn't be too bad to fix. You just need to find and reattach all of the wiring.

Then it comes down to whatever else might be wrong with it requiring work to pass emissions. This is what is difficult to put a number to...