General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Hey everyone! My caddy just died interested in a blazer!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Starting Member
Josh S is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Hey everyone! My caddy just died interested in a blazer!

Hi my names Josh (27) and I'm in need of advice! My Caddy just bit the dust (headgaskets) and I was offered a Blazer 4 door 95 for $700 it is from a good friend of mine who owns a 6 bay garage. Hes in love with Blazers and swears they are very strong running vehicals. It has 191,000 miles on it!

So my question... Is it worth it?!?! I will have 6 months to pay it off and I have to replace the fuse box it had a melt down on one of the fuses. He has the spar parts has a few blazers for parts. I'm just not sure what I'm looking at I'm a Caddy guy so I have no experience with a Vortex Not sure what to expect, how expensive repairs would be ect. I am used to going to junk yards for parts ect. I have all the tools... Just not sure if its worth $700, Advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! Pros Cons... Gas mileage! Ect...

Thanks again everyone! Looking forward to your advice and incite!!!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:07 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by Josh S
Hi my names Josh (27) and I'm in need of advice! My Caddy just bit the dust (headgaskets) and I was offered a Blazer 4 door 95 for $700 it is from a good friend of mine who owns a 6 bay garage. Hes in love with Blazers and swears they are very strong running vehicals. It has 191,000 miles on it!

So my question... Is it worth it?!?! I will have 6 months to pay it off and I have to replace the fuse box it had a melt down on one of the fuses. He has the spar parts has a few blazers for parts. I'm just not sure what I'm looking at I'm a Caddy guy so I have no experience with a Vortex Not sure what to expect, how expensive repairs would be ect. I am used to going to junk yards for parts ect. I have all the tools... Just not sure if its worth $700, Advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! Pros Cons... Gas mileage! Ect...

Thanks again everyone! Looking forward to your advice and incite!!!
Welcome from Charlotte Josh!

Could you possibly get a picture of the blazer?

It sounds like a good deal to me, but I don't know how bad the fuse box is though.

Is it 2wd or 4wd?

The 4.3 vortec is a great motor! It stems off from the 350 which is bulletproof.

These trucks have been known to last awhile, that's for sure.

My gas mileage on average is probably 15 city 20 highway, which isn't that great, but I love my blaze, so I continue to drive it lol.

So the fuse box is the only problem?

Old 01-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Starting Member
Josh S is on a distinguished road

I can post pics in the evening, it is red (ugh) and is 4wd. No leather or anything but I'm sic of that with my Eldorado. The fuse box has one melted fuse stuck in it. The owner or previous not sure yet I have yet to start it but he would like me to replace the entire fuse box. It was last inspected a year ago it ran out in 2011. Battery is from 07 I have no info on it, he says it runs and thats about it.... I wont know more until I try to start it and get her in a bay tmrw. Its just 191,000 miles scares me I have a Caddy that was nothing but problems and $$$$ Just did a $500 dollar fuel pump. $160 tow bill... Water crossover, pump, rad... plugs... FPR... the list goes on and on! Now its pooring coolant out the rear. Makes a beautiful smoke screen down the highway I'm just scrambling for a emergency vehical so I can get to work the last thing I want is to have another clunker!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:54 PM
Starting Member
Gale is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up $700 Puts One in Clunker Land. :)

$500 will buy you a lot of parts and short of an engine/transmission issue you should be good to go and still be below $1500.

Welcome!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

$700 seems fair for what it is, but fuse boxes don't just melt on their own. A popped fuse means there's a short or overload somewhere in a circuit. If it does physical damage to the point the fuse box needs to be replaced it's probably pretty bad, but could be pretty obvious too. Find out what the real issue is first before you commit.

You might be better off getting a truck that's in better shape and with less miles for a couple thousand, instead of fixing something up that is cheap. Shop around a bit and compare, no harm in shopping around a bit. Avoid used car lots though, always buy private