General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

hey guys looking into getting a blazer.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011 | 02:24 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum!

Another mistake that a lot of people (myself included) make is that when they install 2" rear shackles to even up the rear or give it a bit of a rake is that a 2" lift shackle only adds 1" of lift!
You're only lifting half of the rear leaf spring so 2" longer shackles = 1" of lift.
When/if you give it a torsion bar twist (AKA t-bar crank) only go up to 1.5" lift. More than that & you'll go through front end componants faster, a lot faster.
1 full turn on each torsion key bolt is about 1/4" of lift BTW. You'll find postings here about the proper way to do this.
A proper suspension lift is better because it'll keep the stock geometry, ride & is easier on CV joints, ball joints etc etc.

Old 10-18-2011 | 08:09 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seahawkswag12
I been looking into getting a s10 im new to em dont know much just got a few questions.

Is a 2 or 4 door better? Hows the gas mileage (dont care just curious) i plan on lifting it enough for 31s or something along thoes lines enough to give it that mean look, i got a phone no computer so it wont let me search around for some reason so if you got pics of one on 31s or so that would be great, and hows the 4wheel drive? Stupid questions lol but i really want to invest in one. Thanks anything else let me know!
I think the 2 door looks better, but the 4 door is more convenient as a sole daily driver. I think you can get a better deal on a 2nd generation 4 door, as they were bought mainly as "family" vehicles, and many were better taken care of. The 2 doors could have been used more as "toys" since new. But both of these assumptions aren't always true. Spend a little more for something taken care of, opposed to getting a cheap truck that needs a bunch of stuff.

MPG could be 15ish if you drive it hard, highway MPG could be 23ish if you stay at 65-70 and the truck is in top shape. Pretty good MPG considering how versatile the S10s are.

31s look great on S10 4x4 trucks. If you look for a ZR2 you'd pretty much have what you want from the start. The 4x4 works very well in snow and mud. I've been surprised some of the stuff mine will go through in 4 hi with an open differential.

Old 10-19-2011 | 11:06 AM
|
seahawkswag12 is on a distinguished road

Im gunna take a look at both 2 and 4 doors, I can handle the 15-23 mpg its not a deal breaker or anything i just love the look of them, Yeah definatly getting the 2nd generations i like the 80's and early 90's but im looking at 97 or newer.

Thanks Rottidog, will that 1.5inch twist of the tbar fit 31s?

Old 10-19-2011 | 11:20 AM
gatorboy44 is on a distinguished road

You may have to trim a little, just go with 30x9.5s

Old 10-19-2011 | 11:52 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

with the t bar lift 31's will fit with minimal rubbing, and if you trim a little there will be no rubbing. ALSO the other important thing to know is how much to pay for the blazer or bravada if you go with that, lots of people out there like to ask way to much. You can get a very nice blazer/bravada/jimmy for 4-5k. just a tip..

Old 10-19-2011 | 12:13 PM
|
seahawkswag12 is on a distinguished road

Ok cool, thanks for the info guys im sold, so within the next couple weeks or so i will be on the build thread! I just got hired on my job no more bein a temp XD should be fun

Old 10-19-2011 | 12:49 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

I love how Blazer guys always say there is little or no difference between a Blazer and a Brava. And what there is is too expensive to maintain.
Funny, I've run across former Bravada owners and they tell me the same thing.. except their gripe was with the mechanicals. "If only the chassis was nice as the interior"

And here's news.. you start with the seats. My wife rode in a blazer for a while in early 90's she said I want a SUV but no blazers. The seats SUCK.

Then she had to drive a Lumina for a year and she said... No Chevvies AND no Leather.

When I brought the Brava home for her to okay she said 'Well the seats feel good but we going to have to get seat covers. I said Just try em for a while. She did.
"Wow, they dont me sweat no matter how hot!"

You guys.. there is a pretty damn good reason why so many Bravadas were sold. And my own Chebby lubbing bruvvers are impressed .. and agree with me.

Only reason you dont like 'Leather' in the south is it's 'Chevy Leather'. Ever ride in a Buick or Caddy on a hot day down there? And better interior appointments also dont break as often.

Gonna tell you again.. If I couldnt have gotten a Bravada and smart enough to know the difference, I wouldnt be here.
I'd have shelled out a lot more bucks for an Explorer XLT or up scale Mountaineer.

Old 10-19-2011 | 01:51 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

the Bravada Interior is of course nicer.. but some people (like me) dont like the look of them on the outside, the grille mainly. its all your personal opinion.

Old 10-19-2011 | 05:10 PM
gatorboy44 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pettyfog
I love how Blazer guys always say there is little or no difference between a Blazer and a Brava. And what there is is too expensive to maintain.
Funny, I've run across former Bravada owners and they tell me the same thing.. except their gripe was with the mechanicals. "If only the chassis was nice as the interior"

And here's news.. you start with the seats. My wife rode in a blazer for a while in early 90's she said I want a SUV but no blazers. The seats SUCK.

Then she had to drive a Lumina for a year and she said... No Chevvies AND no Leather.

When I brought the Brava home for her to okay she said 'Well the seats feel good but we going to have to get seat covers. I said Just try em for a while. She did.
"Wow, they dont me sweat no matter how hot!"

You guys.. there is a pretty damn good reason why so many Bravadas were sold. And my own Chebby lubbing bruvvers are impressed .. and agree with me.

Only reason you dont like 'Leather' in the south is it's 'Chevy Leather'. Ever ride in a Buick or Caddy on a hot day down there? And better interior appointments also dont break as often.

Gonna tell you again.. If I couldnt have gotten a Bravada and smart enough to know the difference, I wouldnt be here.
I'd have shelled out a lot more bucks for an Explorer XLT or up scale Mountaineer.
You liking leather is your own personal opinion, I don't like leather. Every one is entitled to their opinion.

Old 10-20-2011 | 01:45 AM
seahawkswag is on a distinguished road

I dont like thr nose of the Bravada either, im sticking with the s10 still comfortable and everything, im not a leather fan either cloth is nicer IMP

Quick Reply: hey guys looking into getting a blazer.