General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Hi I'm new here

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 06:52 PM
Leper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi I'm new here

I never considered buying one of these vehicles, my last 3 vehicles were Jeep Wranglers but now with kids and a tent trailer i needed something more family friendly and my best friends sister bought a 02 Jimmy SLS fully loaded with sunroof and is now selling it... It's only had one owner and only 6000 miles per year on the engine. Her husband is a mechanic and has done regular oil changes. She wants to sell it to me for 8000$
I'm not for all the bells and whistles of other SUV's I just need a bit of pulling power and 4 doors.......... Should I buy it?

Old 08-31-2008, 07:22 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Hi I'm new here

Personally I love my Blazer. I've put all 3 of my kids in the back seat, (That's 2 car seats and a booster seat). Its a bit tight but they love riding with me to go camping. Way easier to get into and out of than a Wrangler. The Blazer/Jimmy is quite capable off-road too, and there are lots of aftermarket parts to upgrade the capabilities. Also, we have this awesome forum and community to help each other .

Old 08-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Blazin NC is an unknown quantity at this point

I love my Blazer and by the sounds of it you have a decent condition truck there

Old 08-31-2008, 08:23 PM

Where can i buy a brush bar in Canada??

Old 08-31-2008, 08:36 PM
Blazin NC is an unknown quantity at this point

eBay... thats where I got mine

Old 09-01-2008, 10:09 AM

other than grill and rims is there any other difference between a blazer and a jimmy?

Old 09-01-2008, 10:28 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

No, not really. Same frame and mechanics. The differences are purely cosmetic, so almost all aftermarket parts are interchangeable.Most people here like the Hunter brush guard. You can get them on eBay for a good price.

What part of the Great White North are you from?

Old 09-01-2008, 12:40 PM

I'm in Ottawa......

Old 09-01-2008, 03:53 PM

REAL NEUROTIC QUESTION:

Gonna buy a 2002 gmc jimmy SLS 79000KM's off my friends sister who bought it new, well maintained by her mechanic husband and I know the history of it..... for 8500$ with Brand New bfgoodrich AT KO's on it. plus a little cheating on taxes I'll get this vehicle for under 9000$ on road.
...... but today i went to a dealer who has............
a 2003 Chec Blazer LS, beautifull body with 64000kms and leather seats shift on the fly though and he wants 9000$ plus dealer fee plus no cheating on taxes on the road for 10450$

other than the paint being better shape and leather seats i dont like the tranny on the fly.....

Should I consider this second option?????? I gotta decide tonite YIPES.....................

Old 09-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Both are 4wd shift on the fly so do not let the dealer tell you he has something special. The only difference may be that the Blazer may have Auto4wd which would not be a real big adder in my opinion (harder to diagnose 4wd issues).

See if you can get the full service history and a carfax report on the 2003 from the dealer. You know the history of the other truck and IMO, history means more than mileage (considering the marginal difference in mileage).

Only other thing I would look at is if you see an EGR valve on the front of the 2002 engine. If not, then it is the updated MFI engine which has a better reliability (marginally) than the older SCFI motor. Upgraded injector spider as well as a redesign of the EGR system.