General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Hmm...offered a chevelle for the blazer...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:48 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about
Default Hmm...offered a chevelle for the blazer...

Well...before we get to excited,i have yet to see it. I go fishing alot at a local small lake. I made friends with a older man (in his upper 80's) and we have been fishing alot together lately. We were talking about cars and he mentioned he had it was either a 66 or 67 chevelle with the 283 v8. Its been in a barn covered for about 15 years. Ive yet to see it. Im going to see it within the next week or 2. I asked him what he'd want for it thinking hes going to say a crazy price. He offered a straight trade for my blazer. He said it was in pretty good shape for sitting up for a long time. Hes got all the paperwork for it.

Ive looked for a collectors car for a long time,just never could afford it. Honestly i dont know if i can afford fixing this one up to where id want it anytime soon. Maybe the kid in me is excited. Im just hoping the engine is in ok shape and im going to see if it'll turn with a wrench. My main fear is rust.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:40 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Barn finds are pretty awesome, but I don't know that I'd want to take one for a DD. Even if it's in good shape, after 15 years you're looking at a lot of rehab work to make it reliable.

If you don't need a DD, then I'd absolutely go for that. Post up some pics when you go, I wanna see this beast.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:02 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

I will get pictures trust me! lol.

Even if the engine runs,and drives. Im still stuck with new brakes everything. Suspension,rust,electrical wiring that rats got into. If its a decent barn find,id love to have it. but same time i cant afford hundreds of dollars just to get it drivable...

Geez Whats the odds of finding something still in good shape? Im happy with a engine makeover and brakes. lol.

Hopefully i can see it next week. Im not going to get too excited over it until i see it...

I wonder what these things go for needing restored with papers. I doubt its all original...if it is...maybe its worth trading.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:06 AM

Well, figure at the very least you'll need a tune up and swap out ALL fluids within hours of getting it. Also brakes, probably tires (unless he stored the car on blocks the tires probably have flat spots) and a good overall cleaning and undercarriage lube. Assuming that the car is in good shape and somehow rats haven't taken over, of course.

So you're probably looking at 500-600ish right off the bat if everything is good.

And then you'll probably get roughly 8-10 MPG.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:46 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

You can come across a blazer everyday, but how often do you get a chance at a Chevelle? Hopefully its not in too bad of shape.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:55 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by TheRandom1
Well, figure at the very least you'll need a tune up and swap out ALL fluids within hours of getting it. Also brakes, probably tires (unless he stored the car on blocks the tires probably have flat spots) and a good overall cleaning and undercarriage lube. Assuming that the car is in good shape and somehow rats haven't taken over, of course.

So you're probably looking at 500-600ish right off the bat if everything is good.

And then you'll probably get roughly 8-10 MPG.
Yea. thankfully i already have access to free used tires,and ive got every fluid imaginable. Im sure the carb will have to be rebuilt too. Did these things come with a 2 or 4 barrel on a 283?

Originally Posted by bigkhans
You can come across a blazer everyday, but how often do you get a chance at a Chevelle? Hopefully its not in too bad of shape.
Well,thats what im telling myself. But on another hand i have to think about the amount of work,and the amount of money i dont have to put into it. Im not thinking a full Restoration,but enough to get it rolling,then once i get to that stage,il pump in a ton of change.

Cool thing is though,i believe i can get collectors insurance on it for CHEAP. Friend of mine has a old mustang thats costing pennys for insurance...but now hes 55 years old,im 22 with a drivers record.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:59 AM

I believe collector's insurance is only if it's "driven sparingly" but could be wrong.

Also, I believe 4 bbl was standard.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:01 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

You could just keep it in storage until you're in a position to do the restoration (if needed). Owning a classic with original paperwork is very rare, the papers add value.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:07 AM
BF Veteran

Man.....i cant wait to see it.

If anyone has or has had collectors insurance can chime in,that'd be cool. Im paying 205.00 a month for my insurance. thats for 2 vehicles,only liability. to beable to knock it in half,would be great.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Starting Member
USMC3782 is on a distinguished road

go with the chevelle. each time and every time it is the better decision. Depending on what options it has it can be a very reliable car, parts for the drive line are cheaper than on the blazer and you should get better than 15 mpg. I could pull close to 20 in my 62 impala and it was not tuned properly.
interested to see pics for sure.

Just remember, it will be much easier to work on. as long as it isnt rusted out you should be good to go.

Quick Reply: Hmm...offered a chevelle for the blazer...