General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Hot wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2024, 10:02 AM
Beginning Member
TR860 is on a distinguished road
Default Hot wheel

Hi there. This morning went to the store and back and noticed my '98 blazer, 4.3 LS was kinda like when going slow felt like there was something wrong with a tire ( like it was oblong high and low spot, hard to explain) so i checked the tires and my driverrs side burnt my finger touching the rim. Checked the temperature of the rim and it registered 191 degrees, checked the brake fluid which was good and it had a temperature of 151 degrees. Any ideas why this is so hot. Thanks

Old 09-28-2024, 11:29 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

My first thought would be you have a sticky brake caliper. I suppose a bad wheel bearing could also be the source.

No matter what, the wheel needs to be jacked up and checked for free-play and ease of rotation as part of diagnosing the possible cause.

Old 09-28-2024, 11:44 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
My first thought would be you have a sticky brake caliper. I suppose a bad wheel bearing could also be the source.

No matter what, the wheel needs to be jacked up and checked for free-play and ease of rotation as part of diagnosing the possible cause.
hey how you been. that was my thought about the brake, dont hear no noise though. Waitin for it to cool down before i check it. Having to clean up first (limbs, shingles. etc.) after that hurricane

Old 09-28-2024, 08:11 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TR860
hey how you been. that was my thought about the brake, dont hear no noise though. Waitin for it to cool down before i check it. Having to clean up first (limbs, shingles. etc.) after that hurricane
I'm doing ok. Thanks for asking.

I'm sure we'll all be interested to learn what you find.

It also occurred to me that a pinched brake line could cause these symptoms.

Old Yesterday, 12:35 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I had the same thing happen a few year back. It was the rubber brake line that had collapsed. It would let the fluid in but not back out. I couldn't tell the line had collapsed by looking or feeling it. Ended up replacing the rotor, line, and hub as the bearing overheated and to out the ABS sensor. I didn't notice until it was to late.

Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
Beginning Member

well i replaced the brake pads, (one was down to the metal) caliber looks okay (had one piston come out when i was backing them off to get over the brake shoes wasnt scored or rusty) but i still got that pulsating motion when moving. even rotated the tires. could it be the rotor got warped