Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

New shoes not partial to mcguires hot shot

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 11:15 AM
Starting Member
don james is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down New shoes not partial to mcguires hot shot

I put this hot shot on new tires, wiped with clean rag, waited a couple of days and wiped [pretty aggressively], and ran another couple of days on the pavement.......

We took a ride yesterday on about 60 miles of gravel and dirt roads......and ......

I've read about fifty different opinions on tire shine???????........maybe i should just do like we did in the 60's and use mom's johnson floor wax........

Hot shot works pretty good on my impala ......but it never gets off pavement...

I'll have to give them a good pressure wash and scrub and try something else .......

Attached Thumbnails New shoes not partial to mcguires hot shot-dirty-tire2.jpg   New shoes not partial to mcguires hot shot-dirty-tire.jpg  
Old 02-28-2016, 10:43 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I am not sure what you were expecting here. You put a tire shine on something that you are taking down dirt roads. Of course it is going to collect dust/dirt. Any tire shine will do that.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:06 AM
Starting Member

I don't think they all do that.......especially after three days and another wipe down.......

it seems that the dust adsorbed a lot of the "shine oil/wax'......I'll see if the they attract another layer in a few days......

Old 03-03-2016, 07:52 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by don james
I don't think they all do that.......especially after three days and another wipe down.......

it seems that the dust adsorbed a lot of the "shine oil/wax'......I'll see if the they attract another layer in a few days......
Yeah this is sort of the reason you would use a dry lube on exposed mechanical components in dusty environments instead of a wet/oily lube. It attracts (or more or less grabs) dust...

I personally don't see the point of tire shine on any AT or MT tire, but try telling that to this generation of rear end sagging 22" XDs wrapped in ballooning low profile mud tires mall crawler driving posers...

Old 03-03-2016, 11:19 PM
Starting Member

I power washed and wiped again........today i took them to cripple creek, [Co.] for a little slot machine entertainment.........I take a short cut through the mountains [we call the shelf road]....it is 24 miles of the dirt rock gravel, and snow .........the tires collected dust again.....I think i'll give up on them........and just scrub down with blech-white every now and then........