General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

How to disable your auto lights in 4 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Starting Member
CH@Dbee is on a distinguished road

I NEVER TRIED THIS WITH MY TRUCK BUT I HATED THAT CRAP. damn caps lock. i power my photography flashes with a inverter and would always have to park my truck pointed away from the car/truck i was shooting to keep from my headlights being on it. it was frustrating.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:17 AM
toaks1 is on a distinguished road

Another way to get them to stay off is to APPLY THE PARKING BRAKE. with it on the AutoLights do not come on. U dont have to put the pedal all the way down or anything, just one click does it (as long as the light on the instrument cluster illuminates)

Other than the situation where u may have a no start or something (and dont want lights on while craking bc they will drain the battery) i think that the AutoLights are an awesome feature. It is nice never having to remember to turn ur lights on.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:33 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by toaks1
Another way to get them to stay off is to APPLY THE PARKING BRAKE. with it on the AutoLights do not come on. U dont have to put the pedal all the way down or anything, just one click does it (as long as the light on the instrument cluster illuminates)

Other than the situation where u may have a no start or something (and dont want lights on while craking bc they will drain the battery) i think that the AutoLights are an awesome feature. It is nice never having to remember to turn ur lights on.
so you're one of those people that never use their parking brake (remind me to never buy your truck when you sell it).

so what do you do when you pull up somewhere, but don't want/need to shut off your truck, but can't turn off the HL's? FYI, for those that don't know, once the lights are on & it's dark, they don't shut off until the truck is turned off.

i wonder how we all managed to drive before some of this tech crap imposed it's will on us? i've never left my lights on-ever, or have i ever forgot to turn on my lights when required. hell, i drive with my lights on 24/7 anyways.

it's just a major PITA when i'm backing in my trailer @ night, and my HL's are shinning into the front of my neighbours house.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 AM
99 blazer is on a distinguished road

so all i need is a 2.2 ohm resistor to turn off the headlights?

Old 01-27-2010, 11:33 AM
toaks1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
so you're one of those people that never use their parking brake (remind me to never buy your truck when you sell it).

so what do you do when you pull up somewhere, but don't want/need to shut off your truck, but can't turn off the HL's? FYI, for those that don't know, once the lights are on & it's dark, they don't shut off until the truck is turned off.

i wonder how we all managed to drive before some of this tech crap imposed it's will on us? i've never left my lights on-ever, or have i ever forgot to turn on my lights when required. hell, i drive with my lights on 24/7 anyways.

it's just a major PITA when i'm backing in my trailer @ night, and my HL's are shinning into the front of my neighbours house.
No need to get so defensive there chief. Im just throwing it out there as an option for people who might like the Autolight feature (like me) and dont want to permanantly remove it from their truck.

If u want to put the lights out, just shut the engine down put the e-brake lever down one notch, fire it up and the lights will REMAIN OFF until teh brake is released. Even a properly functioning parking brake will not grab after only 1 click on the pedal so i dont think u need to worry about that.

And as for my parking brake.. it has not worked since i bought the truck, the shoe assemblies inside of the rear rotors are pretty rusted up (i live in western NY which = tons of salt in the winter). Since i almost NEVER park on a hill and my jimmy is an automatic i see no need to spend $75 per side to replace the parking brake shoes which i have absolutely no need for.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 99 blazer
so all i need is a 2.2 ohm resistor to turn off the headlights?

did you try the pushing the dome overide 4 times?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:57 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by toaks1
No need to get so defensive there chief. Im just throwing it out there as an option for people who might like the Autolight feature (like me) and dont want to permanantly remove it from their truck.

If u want to put the lights out, just shut the engine down put the e-brake lever down one notch, fire it up and the lights will REMAIN OFF until teh brake is released. Even a properly functioning parking brake will not grab after only 1 click on the pedal so i dont think u need to worry about that.

And as for my parking brake.. it has not worked since i bought the truck, the shoe assemblies inside of the rear rotors are pretty rusted up (i live in western NY which = tons of salt in the winter). Since i almost NEVER park on a hill and my jimmy is an automatic i see no need to spend $75 per side to replace the parking brake shoes which i have absolutely no need for.
see, this is the problem with reading what some has to say. (i kinda knew you'd take it as abrupt).

while i know what you're getting @ (with regards to fooling the truck's Auto feature), i actually use my PB, and it's just as important in an automatic vehicle (more so actually) as a manual trans'd one.

hills or no hills, a PB can save your trans if someone hits it while you're parked. an added cost to an insurance claim, that may just cause your truck to be "wrote off". or even if you have some ***-hat park up against you, if it happens enough, it may just break the next time.

since i use my PB all the time, it's more of a RPITA to hold my foot over it, and try to remember where it should stop, so i can override my Auto Light feature. and you wanna compare Winter's?......try coming up to Ontario we only have white vehicles from November to March.

besides, how hard is it to pull off the speaker grill, "pop" in the right resistor, and put the grill back on?

oh yeah Spectreblazer, it's not always a sure fix with the dome override.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
see, this is the problem with reading what some has to say. (i kinda knew you'd take it as abrupt).

while i know what you're getting @ (with regards to fooling the truck's Auto feature), i actually use my PB, and it's just as important in an automatic vehicle (more so actually) as a manual trans'd one.

hills or no hills, a PB can save your trans if someone hits it while you're parked. an added cost to an insurance claim, that may just cause your truck to be "wrote off". or even if you have some ***-hat park up against you, if it happens enough, it may just break the next time.

since i use my PB all the time, it's more of a RPITA to hold my foot over it, and try to remember where it should stop, so i can override my Auto Light feature. and you wanna compare Winter's?......try coming up to Ontario we only have white vehicles from November to March.

besides, how hard is it to pull off the speaker grill, "pop" in the right resistor, and put the grill back on?

oh yeah Spectreblazer, it's not always a sure fix with the dome override.
its a free fix for the ones that work

Old 01-27-2010, 07:47 PM
BF Guru

^^^ yeah. but it seems like it's far & few between that are so lucky.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

its free though.lol

Quick Reply: How to disable your auto lights in 4 seconds