General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

How many miles does your original Vortec V6 have?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Beginning Member
shade tree is on a distinguished road
Default How many miles does your original Vortec V6 have?

I have a 2001 4DR 2WD that has had just about all of the common issues associated with these Blazers. I have spent much $ and time on the things I can repair myself( intake manifold gaskets(twice), fuel pump/sending unit,radiator, water pump,door hinges, etc. etc etc). The transmission was rebuilt 2 years ago by a transmission shop. The truck has 172K miles. I keep the oil changed regularly. My question is, how many miles can I expect to get on this original motor before I am going to have to spend a great deal on it?
I am at a crossroads on whether to sell the vehicle, which is worth less than the money I have spent on it, or keep it and hope for the best.
Any advice or info with your experience is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:20 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I am currently just under 208K and still running strong. Just keep up on the maintainence and don't abuse it and you should be able to a few more miles out of it.

That being said, I will likely be rebuilding/replacing the engine BEFORE I have it break down on me. I will also be rebuilding the tranny soon. Just need to get out to west Texas one of these days.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:30 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

The fact you ask says to me you really may not want to keep it. And it's a little late when it comes to the miles you've put on it.
I'm posting from general automotive knowledge concerning my other cars all of which tend to go high-miles because I get the most value per dollar spent. Recently retired a TBird at 300K, and a taurus at 220 K {because wife hit something AGAIN resulting in 3rd loss of trans fluid}

First: Those miles tell me you do a fair amount of distance driving. For engine longevity I would have recommended Mobil 1 and screw the 3000 mi schedule. Up to 10000 is fine for a long commute car.
If almost all driving is grocery getter, then I'd say Valvoline and every three months. NEVER that highly advertised geographic reference oil but if you ARE using that brand and switch to Mobil 1, Change filter at 1000 then oil and filter at 3000 first pass.

Second: You had your trans rebuilt already. Key is WHERE you had it done. Sorry to say that some well known shops have that down to a science and if done there look for another at about 45,000.
- That is on hearsay from others. I've never had a 'normal' trans failure on a car I drove for any period of time. But I quit trusting 'rebuilt' long ago when seeing others' experiences.
Tell you what.. I NEVER will have a trans flush on any trans older than 50,000 mi. And if I change the filter, I'll do it myself so I dont get a surprise in about two weeks. Increasing size of trans cooler is best bet.

Third: What about suspension? Ball Joints Bushings Bearings etc.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:47 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

My blazer is a 1992 s10 i got it with 122k now it has 137 and im loving it =)

Old 08-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Beginning Member
shade tree is on a distinguished road

Thank you both, AJBert and pettyfog.
The vehicle has been driven 99% of the time by my wife, who is very conscientious of the maintenance schedule, and has never abused the truck. Most of the 172K miles have been daily commutes of about 50 miles round trip. We recently purchased a new vehicle for her to drive daily, but she is very attached to the Blazer and doesn't want us to sell it, but I feel it has been a "money pit" and will continue to be so. Don't get me wrong, I have always been a "Chevy/GM Man", having owned several. I'm afraid we just got a lemon on this one.
Again, thank you both for the info and advice.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:10 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by shade tree
Thank you both, AJBert and pettyfog.
The vehicle has been driven 99% of the time by my wife, who is very conscientious of the maintenance schedule, and has never abused the truck. Most of the 172K miles have been daily commutes of about 50 miles round trip. We recently purchased a new vehicle for her to drive daily, but she is very attached to the Blazer and doesn't want us to sell it, but I feel it has been a "money pit" and will continue to be so. Don't get me wrong, I have always been a "Chevy/GM Man", having owned several. I'm afraid we just got a lemon on this one.
Again, thank you both for the info and advice.
Got nothing to do with brand loyalty. I can see just by activity on here that the engine itself is a good one {fuel system's another matter}.
Thing is every vehicle has its quirks and weak points.. staying on top of them is the key.
I happen to love MN12 3.8L Tbirds..had three in a row, but only bought them at over 120K because the head gaskets go on every one of them.. and usually first gear shift piston does too.
In fact I got screwed on my first one, crankcase was filled with 90W oil because the bearings were shot. Used Mobil1 10w 50 and drove the car 70,000 miles without opening the engine.
Second one.. bought for 800 bucks because it had trans slip probs in hot weather. Put on trans cooler and dumped in Lucas and drove it 150,000 more miles and never opened the trans.. and only added maybe 2 quarts in all that time.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Starting Member
j89lumaye is on a distinguished road

i have 141k on mine, but ik ppl with over 225, one of my friends rolled over 250k the other week, and my grandpa had a 91 s15 with over 350k on the original motor and trans

Old 08-23-2011, 07:01 PM
gitnlow is on a distinguished road

my s10 blazer has 274k on original motor still running strong!!!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Starting Member
98chevyblazer is on a distinguished road

283,000 on mine and still going strong also

Old 08-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Beginning Member
ryito1122334455 is on a distinguished road

143,755 at the end of today....cold air intake, and glasspack exhaust...plenty of pep

Quick Reply: How many miles does your original Vortec V6 have?