General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

How much can the stadard cross rails carry?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:50 AM
kikkegek is on a distinguished road
Default How much can the stadard cross rails carry?

I don know if you call them cross rails? But I would like to know how much the standard cross rails of the roof rails can handle.

Today I mounted a cargo carrier. It weighs 19kg, so about 40 pounds. And It can carry 50kg, so about 100 pounds.

Does anyone know?

look for the difference:

Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 PM
blajeans is on a distinguished road

I think that Thule has a limit at 75kg in their cargo carriers like the one I have. I think that it´s not very smart to carry a lot more on the roof of your Blazer.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:28 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

the owners manual says you can get away with like 200 lbs (maybe a bit more)

i put a 3rd rail in, and mounted a basket. then i climbed up on top and laid on the basket (i weigh 205) and it handled it well. I dont see you needing to stuff a body in that carrier....

i would play it safe and not stuff much more than 60-75 pounds in the carrier and you should have no problems at all

Old 01-31-2010, 12:34 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

100lbs.? nah, that's fine.

i've put over 300 on my roof-a few times-and never had any problem. personally, i'm more worried about the roof getting buckled where the side rails mount, than anything else.

if you're really concerned, install some flat plate across them, it'll make them a little more rigid, and help to transfer the load out to the side rails.

that cargo carrier looks good on there. is it a Thule?

***WHAT THE HELL????*** there's like 2 mssg's up there! i just opened this thread, didn't see anything then, but now there is?..............

Last edited by old skool luvr; 01-31-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:22 PM

It is a Hapro probox 560.

We were 100%sure we had ordered a completely black edition, because we wanted it to look nice with the car.
like this one:

but then we ended up with this one, black bottom and antraciet top

and in the end, it looks just fine. And you can stuf a sh*tload of stuff in there.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:25 PM

I am not soo much worrying about the side rails. They are very strongly mounted on the car. I am concerned about the cross rails. The 200lbs the manual refers too is how much you can pack on the roof between the rails. I am interested on how much I can pack on the two cross rails. I think it'l be just fine, but I just want to be sure.

I don't want to find out doing 90 mph on the French highway this summer. hahaha...

Old 02-01-2010, 11:17 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kikkegek
I am not soo much worrying about the side rails. They are very strongly mounted on the car. I am concerned about the cross rails. The 200lbs the manual refers too is how much you can pack on the roof between the rails. I am interested on how much I can pack on the two cross rails. I think it'l be just fine, but I just want to be sure.

I don't want to find out doing 90 mph on the French highway this summer. hahaha...

and my friends (and wife) think i'm crazy!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:18 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Don't matter the weight. It's what happens if you need to hit the brakes hard. I'm scared the box will keep going forward like a torpedo! LOL

Hey curtis, with a body in the box, that converts to a damn good launch for a trainee bob sleigh rider. Quick stop on icy roads & away you go! LOL

Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

LMAO! cut a little hole in the top and set up a lexan plexiglass shield and you are ready for launch!