General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

How much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Beginning Member
Tenagator is on a distinguished road
Default How much is too much?

My Jimmy is a 95, so lets face it, anything from the 90's is pretty old but doesn't mean its not good.
My Jimmy is in pretty good shape for being 19, got some rust on the pass rockers, but not horrible and nothing I can fix up and weld...if I want to.
its really in great shape and only 99K on it. I have almost every record of maintenance as well.
I got it cheap, but I already put more into it than I paid for it.
(Fuel pump, Spider, distrib cap, rotor, plugs, wires, nut kit, sway bar end links, 02 sensor)
Still got poor fuel mileage and now a coolant leak that I'm yet to locate.
Question is...how much are you willing to put into it?
We all know its hard to get out of it what we put in...I been in the custom scene a long time, built many trucks, still have a show truck and even had one featured in Mintruckin magazine...and I got no where near the thousands in it when I sold it.
But I like the Jimmy, its fun in the snow and I even like working on it and figuring things out to pass on knowledge but I'm not sure how long I will keep putting money in if things keep going wrong when I basically bought it for winter and work.
How do you know when enough is enough?

Old 01-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Beginning Member
MoneyPit99BlazerLT is on a distinguished road

That is a great question. Personally, I have decided that if it is a $500 + mechanic required repair or when tranny needs rebuilt, time to move on to next toy (210k on the tranny). In last 60 days (luckily, no mechanic required), oil cooler lines, oil filter lines, catalytic converter, door hinge pins, power window lights, oxygen sensors, battery....This is a typical 60 days. Still love the leather, heated seats and sound system in the morning.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:39 AM
twobogie is on a distinguished road

Tenagator;
I hate to bring up anything distasteful, but, if your losing cooling and you don't readily see a leak in the system there is a possibility of an internal leak such as an intake manifold gasket. I've just experienced one and I hope I caught it before doing internal damage to the engine!!!!!!!!! Dexcool/antifreeze will absolutely ruin an engine when mixed with oil. Here's wishing you the very best. By the way, in reference to your investment ratio question, it just depends on your billfolds pain threshold. My love of my junk (96 Blazer 136K) would be tranny or air conditioner blowout. But, then I live in the south and that makes a BIG difference. Keep us informed.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:55 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i usually have no problem sinking money into my junk as the stuff usually goes from vehicle to vehicle. so if i buy a new trans for my beater s10, when it falls apart 2 years from now i just take it out when i scrap it and buy the exact same vehicle again.

i have stuff on one of my trucks that has been on like 4 previous vehicles

Old 01-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Starting Member
JavierEscalonJr is on a distinguished road

Me if I can't fix it or the car isn't worth to fix it like more than one major problem then I sell it cheap on Craigslist like 500 bucks cheap

Old 01-22-2014, 06:04 PM
Beginning Member
Tenagator is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by twobogie
Tenagator;
I hate to bring up anything distasteful, but, if your losing cooling and you don't readily see a leak in the system there is a possibility of an internal leak such as an intake manifold gasket. I've just experienced one and I hope I caught it before doing internal damage to the engine!!!!!!!!! Dexcool/antifreeze will absolutely ruin an engine when mixed with oil. Here's wishing you the very best. By the way, in reference to your investment ratio question, it just depends on your billfolds pain threshold. My love of my junk (96 Blazer 136K) would be tranny or air conditioner blowout. But, then I live in the south and that makes a BIG difference. Keep us informed.

Its an external leak, I noticed coolant around the crank sensor area. So hopefully its a water pump gasket, I got some info on the 95s the gasket for the intake manifold doesn't have the failure rate of a 96+. I'm working on the coolant pressure test, I should be getting it done one day this week. to determine the issue, its not a significant loss of coolant, minor for now.

I have a 13 Accord but I don't want to drive it in the winter or snow, so I figured the Jimmy would be ideal, and it is.
It just seems its always something with it, some issue. But I rather have it, its fun and I like it, just not putting $ into it and then not seeing a decent price when I get sick of it and sell it! but I would probably get another one, just a newer year....