Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Too much pos camber on my 95 Jimmy 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 01:36 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road
Default Too much pos camber on my 95 Jimmy 4x4

Since getting my Jimmy in February I have replaced all ball joints, replaced the sway bar bushings, replaced the driver bearing hub, and all shocks. All these were necessary too. Not just pm. These parts were all shot. I've also been able to get my alignment straight and my steering wheel strait. (yep all by myself)

But I have noticed that I have too much positive camber on both tires (I hope I'm saying it right) when the hub was giving out it started to wear out the outter edges of both front tires. Once I replaced the hub it stopped wearing the tires (Oh they were new also in march so I could tell when they started to wear, some of the small channels disappeared on the outter edges).

I've been reading up on the adjustment cam on the upper control arm. I'm am thinking that these might be worn. I also have one more issue, when I stop hard I can hear a clunk on the driver side like something is loose and "gives" when I stop. (hard to explain) But this now fits with a worn adjuster cam.

So my question is how hard is it to get these loose? and if the bushings are bad can they be self-repaired or will it require taking them to a shop? I think I'm going to check them this week. This is my last major job my truck needs aside from my fuel pressure drop-off.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:03 PM

I just went out and took a look. It seems the adjuster cam bolts are adjusted to the maximum. In other words, the thinnest part of the cam is against the control arm ridge. There is plenty of room to readjust to get the camber even. And it's the same on both sides.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:58 AM

Man I can't believe no one had an input on this. I guess it was so easy it wasn't necessary.

Anyway. I just wanted to chime back in that I gave them a workover. I made a 1/4 turn adjustment on both bolts. they were basically adjusted all the way out. So that the thinnest part of the eliptic was against the side ridge. I think the tires could use a little more of a turn but they are a lot better than they were. I now want to see if my tires wear at all before doing more. But I also found what I think was/is the cause of my clunking in the driver side. It appears the upper control arm rear bushing is worn out. If not it is close to it. So I see I'm going to need the bushings replaced on that side soon. I'm going to see how it goes for now and maybe a January job. I'll take the control arms out myself and take them to a shop to have them press the bushings in. I tried it once myself on an old van. Won't again. That's a shop job. But going to give the truck a test run to see how it feels now with the tires cambered closer to correct. If you go to my album you can see how bad my camber was.