General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

I feel like such an idiot after this

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 01:36 PM
deadmanet is on a distinguished road
Default I feel like such an idiot after this

Wasn't sure where to put this, but feels like a general topic, if not sorry, please move.

First, I would like to again thank each and every one of you that help us not so mechanically inclined members diagnose and repair our vehicles. This site is the first place I come to when I have a problem, and 9/10 times find what I need.

Just wanted to post my experience this past week about an issue I had and how I was too sure I knew where the issue was, but couldn't figure it out. This is just to not only possibly inform, but to give y'all a little laugh at my expense for being an idiot who should have known better....lol

About a week ago I started hearing/feeling some grinding when I came to a stop. Sounded/felt like it was coming from my front passenger tire. Well, I got it home and took the tire off, and checked it out. Rotor looked fine, pads still had plenty to go. So, I put everything back together and went about my day. The sound went away for a couple of days, so I thought maybe something had gotten stuck(dirt, dust, rust). Well, a couple of days ago, not only did the sound come back, it became constant, even while driving.

Well, needless to say I popped in here and started looking for answers. Found a quite of bit of information, so I started testing each possibility. Could find nothing wrong. Was starting to get worried that I may have to take it to a shop since I could find nothing wrong. Well, talked to my dad this morning, and we decided to try again. He had me drive down the street. I drive by slowly, then back up and slam on my brakes. He tells me the sound is coming from my rear passenger tire.

So, we jack up the truck an take the wheel off. Well, wouldn't you know it, the pads where bare, and my rotor was rusted pretty bad as well. So, I replaced the rotor and pads, and tada! No more grinding. Next time(hopefully wont be a next time) I will be checking all 4 wheels!

TLDR version: Just because it sounds like a certain wheel is grinding, don't assume it is until you see the cause, or check all 4 wheels, whichever comes first.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:20 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Somewhat along the same lines, my cousin thought his front passenger side was making noise and wanted to change out the hub. We had changed that hub a couple of months earlier.

He went ahead and changed out the hub yet the noise was still there. Started asking me about control arm bushings, ball joints, etc.

I told him to drive by slowly on my driveway, which is not paved nor level. Told him the noise was coming from the back. Told him to spray the spring pack with some penetrating oil and see if that work temporarily.

Instead, he wants to replace the bushings and if that doesn't work, replace the springs.

Sometimes, there's just no helping folks.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:23 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AJBert

Sometimes, there's just no helping folks.
That is painfully true sometimes!