General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

if you tow >or= 4k lbs regularly please reply

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 05:49 PM
aris_unlimited is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: if you tow >or= 4k lbs regularly please reply

ORIGINAL: soundguy

ORIGINAL: aris_unlimited

If you aren't worried about beating on this blazer and already have plans in the works to get something else then by all means tow away lol.
I understand you don't know me, but you don't need to insinuate that I'm an idiot. I'm not the one towing a 3,200lb load with no trailer brakes...While I don't have any intentions of "babying" this truck, I would never abuse my vehicle with a scenario it's notdesigned foror upgraded to handle to the point of a driveline failure. So, no, I don't plan on towing with it for the purpose of destroying it so thatI can replace it - if that's what you were saying.

I have already done my homework with towing calculator spreadsheets etc. Based on the tow rating for the blazer @ 5,400lbs, I should be able to tow 4 to 4.5k lbs safely in flatland Michigan- mind you this is all on paper. I started this thread simply tosolicit "real world" testimonies from fellow members here to get a feel for what the truck can really do in similar situations.

All in all, I have gotten some great info, be it positive or negative thanks for sharing your personal experiences in detail and keep them coming!- Mike
Alright listen up sparky. If I had been trying to insinuate that you were an idiot, believe me I would have done a much better job. I am not known to anyboy as being subtle. I was merely saying that if you did not care if you broke this blazer then go ahead and tow whatever you want on it.

Some people don't care if they beat on a car, they just go get another one. That was all I am saying.

But now that you have tried to make me look like a jerk you have pi$$ed me off.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:52 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm going to have a beer and 'unlax'. Anybody care to join me? (hint, hint)

Old 09-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, that's enough out of either of you. Aris didn't mean anything against you soundguy, it was just a statement. Move along.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:49 PM

Sorry swartlkk, I just get kind of irate when people say stuff that makes me look bad. Sorry everyone.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:34 AM
soundguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Just read thisthread for the first time last nite since my last post. And then I read it a few times and couldn't stop thinking about it. Wow, Iacted like atotalA-hole... For some reason I took your comment as a slam on me and Ireacted in the worst way.

I can see now you were just talking about a segment of people and the way they use their trucks. In the future, I'll make sure to ask someone what they ment by a statement that bothers me instead of acting like a three year old. I'm totally embarassed.No excuses I can make here, I'll just have to own this one.

Aris, the last thing I want to do is insult someone who is only trying to help me, especially on a thread I started,asking foryour opinion! But, that's exactly what I did here...sorry bro, hope youwill accept my apology.- Mike

edit: FYI, Aris, youand the rest were right, I was dreaming to think I would love towing 4,500lbs. No matter what setup I went with as far as hitches, controls etc. I realized this when I had an epiphany, GET A MOTORHOME! The relief I felt when I thought of this told me that I was kidding myself to think I would be ok with towing that trailer. Thanks, and sorry again aboutmy bad behavior. We all could benefit from reading the verse in a_tack's sig from time to time...

Old 09-26-2007, 04:54 PM

Like I said when you personally pm'd me. It is not really a big deal. Unfortunately one of the results of communicating online is that it is easier to misunderstand what people are saying, whereas in person you can get a feeling for what the person is saying.

So needless to say the apology is accepted.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:39 PM
99 Blazer 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 99 Blazer, I don't have a tow package on mine but I had a reese hitch that is made for the blazer on it ( just took it off in anticipation of modifications) anyway I pulled my buddies Ranger down a back road for about 4 miles around 50 mph. on a dolly one time it did ok. I am really smart when it comes to towing and pulling offroad livin' out in the country most of my live you learn real quick what a vehicle can do and what it won't do. I've pulled small cars and light trucks (s-10s and rangers) out of ditches with no problem. where Ifound a problem though when my friends4wd tractor broke down about 3/4 -1mile from his house. It ways about 4,450 with him on it. I knew my truck wasrated a 5,000I had a hard time (the road was gravel/dirt) spun just a bit because the thing has a gear set that constantly turns even in neutral (once its rolling it rolls normal)soI put itin 4hi the road was totally flat so I figured that if I got it rolling no problem. I ended up putting it in 2 gear. Once I did that I had no problems when it got a little closer to the hill( about a 10 degree slope maybe slightly less) Istopped andput it into 4lo and back into 3, she pulled it up the hill with no complaints. I have done several pulls of vehicles out of ditches ( also know the limit, stuck is stuck, sometimes ain't nothin' but a winch and a tow truck gonna do). I've never had a problem with the engine overheating except when the water pump when out and have not had any problems with the trans till a couple of weeks ago. I started to freak out but it turned out the fluid and the filter needed to be change (clogging the valvebody from totally working properly), added some lucas trans additive just to make sure and have not had any problems since. Hope this helps.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:08 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

pulling out of a ditch or towing short distances on gravel roads is a whole different ballgame than towing a travel trailer long distances..... I know you can feel a 5,000lb camper behind a 2002 GMC Sierra ext 4x4 5.3LV8................ sure, I pulled a full size pickup out of a dry creekbed (guy backed over a hill) with my blazer. It didn't even break a sweat, but I know a 3,300lb bass boat ran my truck at about 230 degrees on a flat wide open highway after about 1 hour of driving....