General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 01:41 PM
Beginning Member
SilvrHairDevil is on a distinguished road
Default Insurance

Looking through these forums, it is obvious that ~20 year old trucks are pretty popular and lots of people are fixing them up nicely.
My insurance renewal is coming up next month and I am wondering if there's a way to get coverage for the value of the truck after all the money and work that I've just put into it.
It's a '98 Jimmy 4x4, 4-door, 4.3 Vortec and I've sunk easily 6-7 thousand into it cos I plan to drive it forever. If it got totaled, I'd be unhappy.

Additional factor – I'm getting insurance from ICBC in British Columbia. Anybody with experience in this?

Old 01-14-2021, 01:45 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

The only way I know of insurance companies giving above the standard, is if its been appraised. I'm sure you will need some kind of evidence of it being done. Not sure exactly how much more you'll get for it, I don't think it'll be too much...

Old 01-14-2021, 04:34 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

For collector cars, you can use Hagerty but I don't know what their cut-off in age is. I did this for my 68 Mustang.

Old 01-15-2021, 06:04 PM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

Good luck. I've easily sunk five digits into my Blazer and I doubt I'd get much more than KBB. These trucks simply aren't in demand anymore.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:51 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

You can buy insurance that will pay you based on a value agreed upon when you buy the policy, but I have no personal experience with it. Obviously, if your declared value is a million dollars, that will be reflected in your insurance premiums.

Here's just one example.

Last edited by Tom A; 01-15-2021 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Added link.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:41 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Just let your insurance agent know what mods/improvements with proof of install and value of parts, though labor costs won't be covered. My Blazer got caught up in a hail storm a few years back. When I went to the adjuster, he immediately stated it would be totaled. I had a folder with every part/mod I had on the Blazer with the prices. I told him I hope you total it as I'll get a heck of a lot more money for it and went to hand him the folder.

Ended being $1700 in damage and he never looked at the folder. I doubt my Blazer would have been $1500 with out the parts/mods. I have almost 300k miles on it right now and it is over 20 years old, but those parts/mods kept it from being totaled.

That being said, all of those parts/mods were not anything that came stock on an Blazer. If your Blazer is stock they will go by KBB price, or I'm sure some insurance companies have the own "blue book". Adding something extra, like a receiver, will add value. Putting in new headlights, regardless of how "cool" they look, probably won't.