General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Jimmy 4dr standard tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 10:24 AM
SRIslash is on a distinguished road
Default Jimmy 4dr standard tranny swap

Ok fellas, I’ve decided to do it. I have a 1998 Jimmy with a blown tranny. I had a quote of $500 +parts for the tranny rebuild, I re&re. Soooo, The local wrecker has a couple options for me @ $100 for tranny then the other parts will add up. The options up for consideration is to get a full size truck tranny(wide ratio) or the S series from a 1999 extended cab (ZR2). The latter has its computer intact.

ill add the ratios:
1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th R

GM Silverado 4.02 3.21 1.49 1.00 0.73 3.55

GM S/T, 3.49 2.16 1.40 1.00 0.73 3.55

Any opinions on my choices? I am leaning toward the wide ratio as I’m doing this for MPG reasons, well, heck and standards are fun.
Thanks in advance, Shawn

Last edited by SRIslash; 05-13-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:52 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I'm considering a manual swap myself, and for my application (offroading) I'm thinking the wide ratio, with its lower first and second gear ratios would be better

Old 05-13-2019, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by cleburne red
I'm considering a manual swap myself, and for my application (offroading) I'm thinking the wide ratio, with its lower first and second gear ratios would be better
Yup I think it’s a good option. These 4drs are heavy beasts. I had a 92’ S10 shorty with factory MY2 (close ratio), it was a great setup but that truck was plain and light.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:49 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

If you plan to do any off-roading, go with the wide ratio. The lower first gear, in particular, will be helpful. That's why I'm running an SM465 in mine (6.55 first gear).

Old 05-13-2019, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A
If you plan to do any off-roading, go with the wide ratio. The lower first gear, in particular, will be helpful. That's why I'm running an SM465 in mine (6.55 first gear).
is yours in a 4dr?

Old 05-13-2019, 12:55 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by SRIslash
is yours in a 4dr?
Yes, sir.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:00 PM

Yes, sir.
Any valuable tips for the swap? I know I should put the neutral safety in and such.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:09 PM
BF Veteran

It's a piece of cake. The wiring is already there for the clutch switch. And the hole you have to cut in the firewall for the master cylinder is already center punched. If you have a wiring diagram, it's pretty easy to figure out the wiring for the VSS, reverse lights, neutral switch, etc. You'll want to use a PCM from a manual trans truck or have yours reflashed so you don't get a bunch of tranny codes.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:12 PM

It's a piece of cake. The wiring is already there for the clutch switch. And the hole you have to cut in the firewall for the master cylinder is already center punched. If you have a wiring diagram, it's pretty easy to figure out the wiring for the VSS, reverse lights, neutral switch, etc. You'll want to use a PCM from a manual trans truck or have yours reflashed so you don't get a bunch of tranny codes.
Awesome, I am looking forward to it

Old 05-18-2019, 02:12 PM

Ok so not such a piece of cake. Does this whole aluminum clutch/brake pedal assembly have to drop out?

Quick Reply: Jimmy 4dr standard tranny swap