General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Jimmy HID OEM Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:13 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough
Default Jimmy HID OEM Replacement

I recently purchased a 2000 GMC Jimmy Diamond Edition and I did not notice that the passenger headlight was out. When I noticed it was out I looked in the owners manual to replace the bulb pulled the headlight and got a big shock. The HID bulb was sheared off of the ignitor. It was just hanging loose behind the headlight. I was not familiar with the HID at this time. I went to the parts counter at my local chevy dealer to find out what was there and what would be needed to fix. Talk about sticker shock. To return to factory original I would need to purchase an HID bulb, Ballast, and a sheild. Plus mounting screws. The list price for all of this was over $1200.00 for a headlight. After I left the parts counter I started internet searching and I learned everthing I needed to know about HID headlights and type of bulbs and ballasts. Unfortunetley the bulb that GM used is not a standard HID bulb. The bulb is a D1S but there is no connector at the bulb and there is a mounting flange mated to the face of the ignitor. The current replacement bulb can not be used with the original ballast so you need to replace both. I also found out that it is possible to use a aftermarket HID kit still would need a way to mount the HID bulb or do away with HID altogether and repalce with a 9006 bulb but I would still need a mounting flange for the 9006 bulb. Could use a rebased HID D1s Bulb for the 9006 mating flange. I opted for taking it up the A$$ and buying the OEM replacements from GMPartsCenter.NET. I spent Friday afternoon and part of Sat. replacing all the parts and all is well as long as the driver side does not go out any time soon. The new ballast would work with current HID bulbs as it has standard connectors. I am working on a plan to adapt a standard D1S bulb to the headlight using OEM mounting flange.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:08 AM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

Instead of spending over a grand for one headlight you could have done this instead

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9006-...=p4506.c0.m245

for a lot less money and retained your HID lights

If your housings are non standard buy a set of standard housings and then get a couple sets of HID bulbs.

Last edited by 96Blazernut; 09-26-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:21 AM

I understand that I could have gone with a 9006 HID Kit. But the headlights on my Jimmy are the ENVOY headlights with OEM HID. The ENVOY headlights do not have a provision for the 9006 bulb. It not hard to adapt the headlight housing for a 9006 bulb bit it would have been another mod to install the HID conversion kit. I also ordered the parts before I knew about the conversion kits. But hopefully I will get the full life out of this bulb. I like keeping things original but if the other sides goes out I will seriously consider an HID coversion kit.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:53 AM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

I stand corrected then. I had assumed it had the standard Jimmy lights in it. Damned expensive no matter which way you go.

From the pics it looks like a gussied up Jimmy.. I have those same wheels on my 94 Sonoma except in dark grey.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:39 PM

The GMC Jimmy Diamond edition is exactly that, a gussied up blazer with envoy trimmings in and out along with special badging and interior. It was to commenorate the 30th anniversary of the Jimmy. They made them in 2000 & 2001.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:08 AM
pbfreak5400 is on a distinguished road

http://intensehid.com/d1c.html
they got a kit for $100

Old 04-22-2012, 11:01 AM
JeRM is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pbfreak5400
The whole gmc inverter/ballast/bulb is one piece. U cant remove one single thing w/o replacing all of it. Fml my passenger side is out again