General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Knocking sound as I brake...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Smokewagon46 is on a distinguished road
Default Knocking sound as I brake...

Its coming from the front right side. When I go to slow Black Betty pulls now? Im halfway mechanically sound. I used to be in the Army worked on my Stryker as much as I was allowed. I have changed out steering dampeners before as i had the same issue on Big Jenny.

Is sounds like metal clanking on metal. Or hitting something solid.

Any knowledge on this issue would be greatly appreciated. As I have grown older I appreciate the feeling of doing it myself. But if this is going to be any harder than changing out my brake system then maybe I should pay someone.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:38 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

Allright another spud! Are you a Bronco or a Vandal? So this is coming from the right side. Any pulsating or vibrating in the brakes or the pedal when you step on the brakes? Is the vehicle pulling to one side or the other when you step on the brakes? More clarification would help.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:14 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I agree....a little more info would be helpful.

-First of all...What are you driving? You need to provide your vehicle info when posting a tech question. A good tip is to put it in your sig.
-Does the pulling only happen when you're braking, or does it pull all the time (when going slow)?
-The knocking sound could be either your brakes or a u-joint.
-Is there a pulsation when you brake?

When was the last time you've done a brake job on it?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Smokewagon46 is on a distinguished road
Default Sorry guys

It is a 1994 FS Blazer. Im pretty sure it is all original except some wheels.

It does have some pull when driving but it pulls a little hard when braking. There is pulsing when braking. Only recently has the knocking sound started. I was gonna do the brakes but work has been pretty demanding lately. Sorry it took me so long to get back to everyone.

On that note, Thanks to everyone for responding. I definitely wanna build this on my own. I want to have that level of pride. Well i'll need the the help of all the other Blazer lovers out there as well.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Drewsiff00 is on a distinguished road

I am having a simillar problem with my friends 97 blazer LS (4wd, abs) i believe.
he said it was fine until this winter, using 4wd alot and running over snow banks and such, he said it developed a loud thumping when u push the brakes above 20 mph, it does not pull to either side, and feels to brake normally. it does however, shake and gets worse with more speed or brake pressure

so i looked at it for him and initially found a...

leaky dr. side rear wheel cylinder[replaced]
worn rear shoes[replaced]
rusted/nonexistent front sway-bar end-links (passenger side rusted/worn but attached,driver side gone)[replaced]

the problem persists, i think the next step is to check the rotors for warpage

Last edited by Drewsiff00; 03-10-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:40 AM

That's what I would do, replace the pads and the rotors.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:55 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I agree...pads and rotors to start, and if you're still having the problem then let us know.

The vibrating/pulsing when you brake is definitely your rotors. You can either get new ones or try and machine your old ones. The new pads should help with with that as well. It will probably get rid of your knocking sound too.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Drewsiff00 is on a distinguished road

well thats the plan for today, hopefully anyway.
it definitely seems to be the front, as light application of the parking break at speed produces smooth stops

Old 03-12-2010, 02:22 AM

While you're at it good idea to check your ball joints and cv shafts, maybe grab the grease gun and lube things up a little.