General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Light switch control panel

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 04:39 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road
Default Light switch control panel

RIGHT! Many of you guys may recall the problem I had wiring up the front fog lights.
Well, only recently (when I was stripping trucks at the Chevy guys) I found that some of the LT's had the factory fogs. To turn them on they had an extra switch on the dash.

SOooo.. I dug in behind & found a wire socket zip tied at the back on the harness. I got a new control panel from them & what do you know!!!! I've got the front fogs to work!

Now, I need to re-fit the switches for the light bar. I have some new ones with the light in the button. This will change my wiring 'cause I need to wire in the switches light.

I'll be removing the clear plastic thing GM use to pass the light to the dimmer & dome override switches to make room for the light bar switches, so I'll be wiring in some blue LED's.
Watch this space!

Attached Thumbnails Light switch control panel-external-light-controls-1.jpg   Light switch control panel-external-light-controls-2.jpg   Light switch control panel-external-light-controls-3.jpg   Light switch control panel-external-light-controls-4.jpg  
Old 05-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Cool!

Old 05-23-2009, 04:43 AM
BF Veteran

UPDATE:

Righto! This is where I'm at.

I've cut into & fitted the new switches for the light bar.
I've glued in 2 LED's for the "dome light" & "interior" light.
Still need to wire the LED's into the circuit board.
Still need to cut hole for lightbar wires into switch box, then I need to figure out the wiring 'cause the new switches have an extra terminal for the switches light.

Attached Thumbnails Light switch control panel-external-light-controls-6.jpg   Light switch control panel-external-light-controls-7.jpg   Light switch control panel-external-light-controls-8.jpg   Light switch control panel-external-light-controls-9.jpg   Light switch control panel-external-light-controls-10.jpg  

Old 05-24-2009, 03:58 AM
BF Veteran

All done & working.
There was not a lot of room inside this thing but I managed to get there in the end. To power up the LED's I eventually broke the existing bulb to get to the thin wires in the bulb holder & soldered the LED's to this.

However I still need to resolve the issue of the wiring for the light in the switch to indicate when it's on.

Can one of you electrical savvy guys tell me what to do here.

The attached sketch shows what I've done. (The bottom one was for the old switches).

Forgot to take a pic of the inside before I re-assembled the unit. I'll take a pic when I do the next step.

Attached Thumbnails Light switch control panel-external-light-controls-11.jpg   Light switch control panel-external-light-controls-12.jpg  
Old 05-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

VERY nice!! Good job!