General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Lost a Wheel While Drive - Possible Causes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:43 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

I thought lugcentric meant that the car was resting on the wheel solely through the studs while hubcentric meant that the wheel was supported by the wheel hub as well.

Lugcentric, only the lug nuts are supporting the wheel,

Hubcentric, the hub is supporting the wheel, taking a lot of stress off the lugs

Am I misunderstanding something?

Old 04-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not buying the "too tight" line. Sounds like there was a defect in the rim that caused a crack to form between two of the lugs which just propagated from there.

Matt, that is 100% correct. I really doubt this was a hub-centric vs. lug-centric deal. Those type of problems typically end up breaking the studs or causing vibrations.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:45 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Yea that's what I was understanding it as as well.

On the Explorer, that hub ring is smaller than the rim. So it's clearly resting on the studs. On the Blazer, it's split...some force on the hub, some on the studs.

What I'm thinking, is if these pro-comp rims are hub-centric, the mounting holes for the studs may not be strong enough to hold up to the force of a lug-centric application like the Explorer...causing the holes to eventually widen out.

Edit: Kyle I agree...I'm waiting on pics of the damaged rim to post up

Last edited by WolfPack; 04-18-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Aftermarket rims are typically designed for lug-centric use as it allows for the broadest application range for a given bolt pattern.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:53 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Kyle the only problem with the failure-->crack route is that all 4 rims have damaged lug-holes. Bad batch would be the only way all 4 could fail right?

Old 04-18-2011, 06:30 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Can you get a pic of the damaged rims?

Matt, the center will take lateral stress off the lugs. The studs themselves don't touch the wheel, the lug nuts do. The lug bolts are centered and provide clamping force.

Wolfpack, are the 3 remaining rims still on the vehicle? I just wonder how loose the lugs where. Loose lug nuts are usually the cause of the kind of damage you described on the remaining 3. You don't think there's a chance the bolt pattern on the wheels isn't correct, do you?

Old 04-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Administrator

It is very possible that a bad batch is to blame.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:21 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by s14sh3r
The argument about hub centric vs lug centric...I'm not going there lol. Let's just say that our vehicles are both. I'm with riddle on this one, I think it's due to the lugs not being tight enough. With new wheels, I'll always use a torque wrench on them, and recheck them a couple times after they've been driven.
When it's hub centric there is no lateral force on the lugs, keeping the wheel perfectly centered and allowing the studs to keep the wheel tight up against the hub.

I'm skeptical about the "nuts too tight" comment... besides, aren't they the idiots who installed the rims? They just admitted fault. New rims please.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:29 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by oktain
aren't they the idiots who installed the rims? They just admitted fault. New rims please.
That's what I'm talking about.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:48 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear this news. But the sad truth is that a lot of this aftermarket stuff just doesn't meet very good standards. I'm finding more & more aftermarket car parts that are not of good quality. Just an example. I bought a new NAPA high end serpentine belt in the fall. Well less than 6000 miles & this thing is squealing to beat heck. This is the second time I have had this problem with a NAPA belt. It was making so much noise today my wife complained about it. So I had another new NAPA belt I installed tonight. I asked a mechanic buddy about it tonight & he said he is seeing the same thing. Aftermarket parts not cutting it. That NAPA belt is like $50.
I vote for defective wheels. If they were loose, a stud or two would of broke, Too tight, I don't buy that. It has been determined the right studs for the wheel were used. So that pretty much leaves the wheels themselves.
We see it here with spark plugs & fuel pumps use OEM Delco/Delphi for best results, & the list goes on. The scary part is that it isn't the cheap crap that is the problems, it has moved to the high end products. Sometime the cheap crap holds up better.

Last edited by 4x4blazerguy; 04-18-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Lost a Wheel While Drive - Possible Causes?