General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Maintenance Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:41 AM
migraywolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maintenance Issues

I have owned 3 S10 Blazers in the past 12 years, but have never owned one long enough to put over 70,000 miles on it. I am looking at a 2000 ZR2 which looks very clean. It has 148,000 miles on it. There is some wet fluid on the bottom of the transmission, but that could just be a seal or maybe it was recently serviced.
The information that I have from the owner is very limited (just oil service records). What kind of known issues are there with the S10 Blazer that I could possibly be looking at addressing?
Thanks

Old 04-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Maintenance Issues

Oil cooler lines, ball joints, pitman arm, idler arm are some things i can think of.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:45 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Check for dex-cool sludging!!!!

Wouldn't want to have to replace the cooling system as soon as you buy it!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

^ That is very true^

Old 04-02-2008, 12:42 PM

how do I check for sludging?

Old 04-04-2008, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the info! It has a new radiator (within 1yr), new heater core (recent), new oil cooler lines, new tires. It's a 2000 ZR2 in very clean shape. The only thing that I noticed is that the power mirrors are intermittant. The guy is asking 5K for it. It has 148,000 miles on it, but like I said it looks very clean. I think I might pick this one up.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:23 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

EEEK, 5K seems a little high. My 2000 non-ZR2 with 84K is worth $4800 in 'good' condition (meaning some minor mechanical/paint issues). The truck you're describing in 'excellent' condition is showing $4870 for my zip (17545). Well ain't that about a B? A ZR2 with 70K more miles than a non-ZR2 is actually worth $70 MORE.

I'd offer him $4500 and see if he bites.

Oh and my power mirrors operate in left, right, and down. No up to speak of though...I think they may have gotten wet from leaving windows down and not catching them before the rain came.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:26 AM

Yeah, I was going to offer him 4500. I think he'll take it and its worth that. KBB shows the value around 4900 (I think it was), edmunds shows it in the lower 4's and NADA had it between 4200 - 5400. Wolfpack told me to check for coolant sludging, but it has a new radiator so that's not really an issue. The high mileage was a concern, but it looks to be well taken care of.
I appreciate the info here. I am new to this site.
Everyone have a great weekend!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:37 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Haha yea...probably got a new radiator from the dex-cool!

Good thing though, that's one maintenance issue you won't have to worry about

Old 04-04-2008, 10:06 AM

I take it that the dex-cool had issues with sludging. I never heard about that before. So what kind of anti-freeze is suggested?

Quick Reply: Maintenance Issues