General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

MPG mileage log for personal MPG only.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 11:17 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road
Default MPG mileage log for personal MPG only.

I am retired and don't want to log for personal vs business, GPS, and other complications. I am just trying to log MPG's on my '03 Blazer for my recording of my 4.3L personal gasoline mileage. I think it is the best way to know when there is a mechanical problem and a repair or tune up is due. Nothing complicated like the internet logs wants to make it. No Tax write off's and no business claims. I do want to know if I am getting 17.1 mpg in mostly city driving and 19.3 mpg in mostly Hwy driving. The logs and app's I have Googled are way overkill. Can you suggest a simple format for me to use. TIA, Jim in SC.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:58 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

My father for years used a mileage log booklet. But he passed back about 20 years ago. They used to be common at auto-parts stores.

I did a Google search and it is amazingly hard to find the old log books.

I would just buy a small 4" by 3" spiral bound notebook and write down the mileage at each fill up and then compute the mileage.

If you want to buy a booklet, this one might be what you are looking for:
Auto Expense and Mileage Log Book - auto expense, gas, mileage log, business expense log

Old 04-30-2020, 03:46 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

I use the trip to get the miles out of a tank.

When I want to know over longer periods I simply write down the mileage from the trip when I fuel the Blazer, then reset the trip.
The simplest way for me is to get receipts, not the trip distance made, then at home enter them into a spreadsheet, or even do manual calculations. Easy.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:08 AM
Starting Member
Vahomboy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by error_401
I use the trip to get the miles out of a tank.

When I want to know over longer periods I simply write down the mileage from the trip when I fuel the Blazer, then reset the trip.
The simplest way for me is to get receipts, not the trip distance made, then at home enter them into a spreadsheet, or even do manual calculations. Easy.
That's what I have at home using Excel. I'll be more than happy to share it with you Jim if you'd like. I add the info from the receipts every time I fill up.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:46 PM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road

I should do an MPG calculation soon.

I do drive it pretty hard and cruise at 75MPH on the Parkway...

Old 05-02-2020, 08:57 AM

These SUV Blazer's---esp the 4WD version--- are not the best for Mileage. The best I have gotten is 17.9 mpg when I first got mine. That's mostly hwy. I have since fixed the dragging rear calipers. Right now, the cost per gal. for reg. Shell is only 1.40 US$. so it is not so critical as when the gas was 2.40+ per gal.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:04 AM

Thanks to all who posted and it was helpful. I just had a trip on the Interstate with A/C and trying to drive the speed limit--70 mph- and got a 16.xx mpg. After repairs such as a new water pump that dropped the temp gauge two notches and replacing both rear calipers which were dragging, I expected a much better mpg. Will continue to monitor. The temp that trip was very high and the AC stopped working---that's soon to be another post.