General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

My first Blazer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 06:06 PM
Beginning Member
Bradp56 is on a distinguished road

I am going to get the Pioneer MVH-X560BT stereo for it. I have never put one in but I am pretty technical when it comes to wiring so hopefully I will be able to put it in without issue.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2003 Chevy Blazer and got slapped with lower intake manifold gasket leakage this january. I bought mine used in may 2006 with 32600 miles on it. I am at 101350 now. There were problems throughout the years, but I consider myself fortunate considering what some others had to do. But I will give a run down of what happened. Around 40000 miles, replaced downdraft O2 sensors with Bosch. Those are still in. Later on, the starter got replaced. Seemed premature. Around 56000 miles, didn't start. Got new wires and a tune up. Too early consider GM tells you you can go too 100,000 miles. July 2009 I had to replace some parts do it seemed like a slipping steering. Mechanic claimed it appeared that someone didn't tighten things up after a realignment. That last was done at a Chevy dealer. Bad dealer. Later 2009, replaced rear hatch opening button, but did on my own. My anti lock brake module was causing problems. Sent the module out myself to be rebuilt, which saved me a bit of money. My left side impact airbag sensor also was causing problems. Found a replacement on ebay for a lot cheaper. But when my gasket needed replacement, I didn't escaped the mechanics wrath as my distributer needed replacement as well. I have some minor oil leaks, which for now I am letting go.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:21 PM
Beginning Member

Well when I bought it. The Oil Gasket, Ball Joints and Suspension rods were replaced. I also replaced the oil coolant hoses.

The next thing I need to replace is the sending unit because it is definitely going bad.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:41 PM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road
Default Welcome Brad

Hell yeah! ...50,000 miles is great. Did ya buy a northern rusty or a Georgia rust proofed with red clay? In either case you never stop working on a Blazer. The lower intake fix is a one time deal. Then there is everything else: About the time you replace the water pump the radiator fails. Then the door hinge pins need replacing The drivers door wont close. Fix this or the strike plate will break away from the body and you will be securing the door closed with a rope. Big PITA if you break the body here. Once the doors are fixed you decide to upgrade the stereo and break the door panels. Crap then the heater core goes and you are tearing into the dash. All the while that damn squeeking. Who knows where that is coming from? What now? The dang fuel pump failed! Come on. Really? The list goes on but welcome to the club. Change the oil regularly and do preventative maintenance. Parts don't last forever on anything.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Beginning Member

Lol well you have definitely have me worried but I will hope for the best. I love the room inside of it. I will definitely keep my out for things.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:15 PM
Starting Member
JavierEscalonJr is on a distinguished road

Easiest way for a radio is probably getting a wiring harness and solder the wires on the radio to the harness and use heat shrink to cover the exposed solder at least that's how my brother did it when he installed the radio to my blazer, and I must be lucky I got my blazer with 225,000 miles up to 270,000 now and hardly have any problems I changed my fuel pump once, removed the lower intake twice once to replace the gaskets second time to get the rag I left in the engine under the manifold, and rebuilt the trans because of stupidity reving the engine to about 4000rpm and shifting to reverse from neutral busted the rear planet and I think its called the sunshell not to sure.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:49 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I am not sure why these days there are still people that do not use the wiring harness that is basically plug and play, all you have to do otherwise is match the colors up on the aftermarket cd player.

I hate when going to fix work on someones stereo and pull it out and find out who installed it failed to use the easy harness and hardwired everything. Complete hack job.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:58 AM
Beginning Member

I am going to buy from crutch field and they give you a wiring harness and diretions with it. I can solder and heat shrink that's easy.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:39 PM
Starting Member
99lsdriven is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised you haven't gotten any responses saying "of course it's worth putting money into" lol, good luck with your blazer. And I agree with Rich, I always buy both kits, the dash install and the wiring, it gives you room to work and it's much less of a hassle.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Beginning Member

Well I bought new front speakers so I am going to put them in first. Then I will get a stereo but I will definately get all the adapters to make it easier.

Quick Reply: My first Blazer Questions