General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Name this tool

Old 05-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road
Default Name this tool

I would like to know what the pale orange tool is. It is toward the front in the box between the extensions or adapters. It appears to have a hole for a finger to go through. I am thinking it is called a whip but could be wrong.
[IMG][/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails Name this tool-screenshot_2014-05-02-16-15-53_zps99f4f29b.jpg  
Old 05-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Hmmmm....why not call it "Emily"? Seriously, it may have another name but I always called them brush retainers. When you rebuild an alternator, you slide the brushes back and retain them with it so you can slide the rotor shaft into the back case. Bolt the two case halves together and pull them out and the alternator is ready to use as the brushes settle onto the armature.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:00 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Hmmmm....why not call it "Emily"? Seriously, it may have another name but I always called them brush retainers. When you rebuild an alternator, you slide the brushes back and retain them with it so you can slide the rotor shaft into the back case. Bolt the two case halves together and pull them out and the alternator is ready to use as the brushes settle onto the armature.
I have always used a paper clip , but thats always be for a ford

Old 05-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by rexazz2
I have always used a paper clip , but thats always be for a ford
I didn't sell many Ford alternators at the salvage yard I used to run. The GM alternators with built in regulators had a habit of the bearings in the front, or the rear, but noth both, going out. I would take a pile of alternators and switch case halves and get good units for resale. I sold every one I could do.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:56 PM

I didn't sell many Ford alternators at the salvage yard I used to run. The GM alternators with built in regulators had a habit of the bearings in the front, or the rear, but noth both, going out. I would take a pile of alternators and switch case halves and get good units for resale. I sold every one I could do.
LOL

I sold rebuilt units
I had to take apart more than one in a customers shop using his tools while he watched to change the clocking of the front and rear halves
It seems most "mechanics" are installers
Last guy I did it for was a someone I went to high school with
He was fresh out of trade school and told me they never covered anything like electrical component rebuilding

Old 05-04-2014, 12:04 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by rexazz2
LOL

I sold rebuilt units
I had to take apart more than one in a customers shop using his tools while he watched to change the clocking of the front and rear halves
It seems most "mechanics" are installers
Last guy I did it for was a someone I went to high school with
He was fresh out of trade school and told me they never covered anything like electrical component rebuilding

Now THAT I can believe.I got my early training from guys who were trained by the military in WW2. About 10 years ago I came out of the dealer parts department and saw one of the young mechanics walking around a really nice 1962 or so Impala. An elderly guy had bought it new and only the dealer ever worked on it. The "technician" was walking around it. I stopped to look at it as it was really cherry. We got to talking and the "technician" said he was told to change the points but the car was square. I thought he was kidding but he wasn't. When I told him what the service manager wanted, he had no idea what I was talking about.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:39 PM

Now THAT I can believe.I got my early training from guys who were trained by the military in WW2. About 10 years ago I came out of the dealer parts department and saw one of the young mechanics walking around a really nice 1962 or so Impala. An elderly guy had bought it new and only the dealer ever worked on it. The "technician" was walking around it. I stopped to look at it as it was really cherry. We got to talking and the "technician" said he was told to change the points but the car was square. I thought he was kidding but he wasn't. When I told him what the service manager wanted, he had no idea what I was talking about.
I would let the guy by on the points , only because its been more than 40yrs since they have been used in automotive
Much like carbs , even older guys dont want to mess with them anymore

I have been in the parts trade for more than 20yrs and grew up in the country
If we didnt try to fix it ourselves first it was going to be awhile before it got fixed
It was pretty rare that someone else fixed anything for us

Old 05-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Starting Member
matthewp is on a distinguished road

The orange tool with the hole in the middle is a serpentine belt wear gauge. It used with the EPDM belts put in todays car. EPDM belts just don't crack like the older neoprene belts, but they still wear over time and do break.

Here is a link from gates (it's a PDF): http://ww2.gates.com/common/download...uctionCard.pdf

And here is link on YouTube:

Old 05-04-2014, 10:35 PM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the good info on the belt wear guage. I had my wires crossed and was thinking this was a Probe Efi Electronic Fuel Tester. I ran into someone today at the parts store who thought what I was describing was a belt wear guage, so good on ya!