General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Need input on if I should buy this 1995 blazer tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:48 AM
Starting Member
blazernewbie78 is on a distinguished road
Default Need input on if I should buy this 1995 blazer tonight.

Found a very clean 1995 blazer on Craigslist for $750 The reason it's so low is because it needs a fuel pump the owner says but never had a mechanic confirm it. He puts gas in the intake to get it to fire up and drives it a short distance across his property if he needs to move it.

Has 155,000 miles but he says the trans and engine have been rebuilt and have less then 30k on them. He told me they rebuilt the trans with heavy duty components and the engine "his uncle did" doesn't know much about.

It needs tires, converter and brakes. I priced a fuel pump thats $80 and the sending unit another $70 and I'm sure i can install that I have been working on cars since I was 16 I'm 35 now. I didn't ask him about the 4 wheel drive system is their anything I should check for that? I don't care if the 4x4 works i just care if it moves.

Need some quick input because he has a guy wanting to buy it first thing saturday morning and I'm going to look at it tonight at 630 and might buy it.

thanks

Attached Thumbnails Need input on if I should buy this 1995 blazer tonight.-11.jpg   Need input on if I should buy this 1995 blazer tonight.-22.jpg   Need input on if I should buy this 1995 blazer tonight.-33.jpg   Need input on if I should buy this 1995 blazer tonight.-44.jpg  
Old 04-19-2013, 12:56 AM
Starting Member

Since I can't drive the thing because of the bad fuel pump I can't test a lot of things out I'm kinda worried. He told me a couple times that after I put the fuel pump in it will drive no problem.

I asked him if he listened to hear the fuel pump come on and he hears nothing and did the bang on the gas tank. He had the pump replaced 3 years ago.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:57 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

k,for one its a 95. its a one year deal. computer,trans, etc is different from the rest of em. Remember that.

2. the fuel pump is going to cost you about 250.00 since you will learn that these blazers eat cheap ones for lunch. ONLY go with ac delco or delphi pumps. I'm saying this with lots of blazer experience. So now you will have over $1,000 after oil change,possible tune up,taxs,tags etc.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by chris015
k,for one its a 95. its a one year deal. computer,trans, etc is different from the rest of em. Remember that.

2. the fuel pump is going to cost you about 250.00 since you will learn that these blazers eat cheap ones for lunch. ONLY go with ac delco or delphi pumps. I'm saying this with lots of blazer experience. So now you will have over $1,000 after oil change,possible tune up,taxs,tags etc.
I priced the fuel pump and sending unit on rockauto and the pump ac delco is $75 and the sending unit Dorman is $70

And I priced extra things like new hardware like the fuel tank straps and new fuel filter etc an additional $100.

I am willing to put about $1,000 work into it. For about $2,000 total after everything I could have a decent running truck I'm thinking.

I'm mainly interested because the motor and transmission have been rebuilt and that is the most serious issues of a vehicle that I don't have to worry about. He said the trans was rebuilt to heavy duty specs so he could tow.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:20 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Hmm,maybe you still have the cheaper pump design. I was thinking they swapped in most 95. See? the fun of 95s. Cool then. I wouldnt worry about strap etc unless you live in rust lands. Hopefully hes good with his word on the drivetrain since u cant really drive it.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by chris015
Hmm,maybe you still have the cheaper pump design. I was thinking they swapped in most 95. See? the fun of 95s. Cool then. I wouldnt worry about strap etc unless you live in rust lands. Hopefully hes good with his word on the drivetrain since u cant really drive it.
Yeah he says he has paperwork for the transmission but the engine rebuild was done by his uncle or something. I'm leaning away from buying this now because I can't test drive it. I also have to tow it to my house so that is going to run me about $150.

He also claims to have a buyer ready with a trailer that lives 10 minutes away going to buy it tomorrow morning. He told me this the other day if that is the case why is he talking to me on the phone and details about the truck?

He says the only reason the guy didn't come get it yet is because he (the seller) works until 6pm every day. Tag places are open until 8pm and the guy is "10 mins away"

Sounds fishy to me.

I found like 8 other blazers in the $1700-2200 range that run and drive with minor issues, inspected and years 1997+ so I'm leaning towards looking at them now.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:48 PM
BF Veteran

yeaa. sounds fishy to me as well. Try to find something 98+ as 96/97 is a 2 year deal.

pretty much
93/94
96/97

is 3 separate groups computer and trans wise. Nothing wrong with em,just harder to find certain parts.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Starting Member

haha the guy emailed me an hour ago and said this

"I want to let you know that I have received an offer for 800 on the blazer and I'm going to pursue it. I have 3 other strong communications along with yourself who I'm trying to negotiate with. Please accept this communication as I do not intend to be rude but I'm obviously trying to sell this for the most that I can. I believe it is worth more than this but I must pursue the highest offer possible.
Thank You for your time and interest."

This is after last night him telling me "he wants to make this transaction easy and quick" after I asked if he can just pull the blazer into his garage because it was going to pour down rain. He complained.

And what happened to the guy coming tomorrow morning to buy it?

I'm so glad I didn't get suckered into this scam artist.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:42 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road

i wouldnt buy a vehicle that dosent run or u cant test drive ppl lie through their teeth to sell someone crap. these trucks have issues from all ranges and it could be more things wrong with it that u cant visually see. its a gamble if u wanna take it. but the seller said he has someone who wants it but in realtity hes bull****ting trying to get u to grab it fast as a typical car sales man does to get it off his hands. id look for a newer generation blazer

Old 04-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by gitch93
i wouldnt buy a vehicle that dosent run or u cant test drive ppl lie through their teeth to sell someone crap. these trucks have issues from all ranges and it could be more things wrong with it that u cant visually see. its a gamble if u wanna take it. but the seller said he has someone who wants it but in realtity hes bull****ting trying to get u to grab it fast as a typical car sales man does to get it off his hands. id look for a newer generation blazer
I think the dude is an all around con man. He conveniently left out the part about it needing a cat and check engine lights on in his ad. I asked about all of this on the phone.

You are right I never would buy a vehicle that you can't test drive. I was going to take a chance with it ONLY if he provided me with the paperwork for the trans and motor. If those two things were verified I would have taken a chance if in fact less then 30k was on both that he claimed.

Basically I'm just looking for a reliable SUV that will last 2-3 years because I plan on financing a new truck. I'm even looking at the Exploders I know I know you don't talk about them here

Quick Reply: Need input on if I should buy this 1995 blazer tonight.