General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Need some help with a fender flare idea

Old 04-04-2008, 10:17 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default Need some help with a fender flare idea

So, I kinda like the idea of fender flares, I think it makes the truck look a little more complete after slapping the wider tires on, and going a bit higher

However, I can't justify to myself spending $300+ for some pieces of plastic for the wheels. Also, it seems like when anyone puts flares on these blazers, they're all the same! The classic smooth flowing arch.

Well..I've always thought the blazer was a little more square-ish..flat roof and belly lines, rectangle headlights, flat bumper, etc. Then I was flipping through a magazine and saw THIS

I REALLLY like those flares! After a bit of research, they're called panel, or flat panel style fender flares. So, I was thinking...since this style is much flatter, very basic, and still shows the body underneath the flare, they can't be as difficult to fab as the smooth flowing arches.

Anyone have any ideas on making a sheer flare like this? Obviously fiberglassing my own set is an option, but I've never glassed before, and I'm not entirely sure I could make my own set with fiberglass for much less than the $300.

So I need help! Is glassing my own set that tricky? Do you guys think this would look hideous on the blazer? Anyone else with ideas on other materials?

I briefy thought Lowe's lawn edging or layers of acrylic, then bondo-ing the edges and smoothign it out, then painting and clearing. Any and all suggestions and thoughts on this please!!!

Mounting would be a whole 'nother issue...3M adhesive..I'd be willing to screw into the body if the flares looked awesome..but 3M would probably be better.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:54 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Need some help with a fender flare idea

ya fiberglassing some would be the best way to go. fiberglassing isnt that hard my dad has done it. i would just say make a wood mold or something first to mold the fiberglass to. idk how much fiberglass is bu i would think its a lot cheaper than 300 to do the flares. and before u mount them u could hold them up and see what u think of them. then i think for the best way to struckturally mount them would be 3m adheasive and then screw it in when everything is final.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point

you could search around for some cheap jeep flairs on craigslist orsomething, and then try to make them work?

Old 04-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Starting Member
firemansc32 is an unknown quantity at this point

[align=left] This should be close to what you're going for.
[/align]
[align=left] [/align]
Make molds out of florist foam then just find out how to glass properly. I've seen it done I just can give good enough advice on how to actually do it. Thats why I made the pic to show what it could look like. It might be a little tricky splitting the back ones for the doors.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:47 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

those r thin so they might fit below the door.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:06 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Oh I think I like that! Gotta see how it looks in real life...I think the front edge of the front flares will be tricky to make it flow back into the body well..Thanks for the photoshop!

Floral foam is pretty cheap...I'll just have to try some things I was reading a bunch on how to fiberglass...doesn't seem entirely too difficult. I saw a video where they were using fiber strands and blowing it and resin through a pneumatic spray gun..is that for only like reallll industrial use or could I set that up...seems easier than painting layers right?